Spinning Wheel When Typing!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Khalid-S, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Khalid-S macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a problem when I switch between two languages and start typing. It happens everywhere (TextEdit, Adium, Firefox, Mail..etc)

The problem doesn't occur when I restart, but after a couple of minutes of typing It starts giving me the beach ball.

I tried a couple of things:

• Inserting OSX Disk and Repair + Verify Disk Permissions
    • Cleaning all my Cache "using Onyx"
    • Reinstalling OSX (Not fresh install)
    • Deleting some apps like Adium and reinstalled them

But it didn't help.. I'm starting to think that its a Hard Disk issue :(

I recorded a screen video to show you guys what is exactly happening.

http://vimeo.com/10836605

Help me please!

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

What computer is it, model number etc.? HAve you upgraded/replaced the HD recently? Many have seen this issue after upgrading the HD in MacBook Pros, some drives do it some don't, and there are several explanations for the cause, firmware etc. But trial and error has shown some Hds work in some models and not in others, Your Milage May Vary Widely.
    If it is a desktop, I would suspect an io error caused by the motherboard/io interface, or HD failure. Do you have another HD you can use to check if it is the drive?
    More info is required to speculate further.

3. Khalid-S thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a Macbook Pro (Late 2008 Aluminum, 2.53GHz). No I did not upgrade anything at all. Everything as purchased.

I didn't had that issue before, I started noticing it in the past couple of days, I did not install any new software or anything beside Apple's new update (to 10.6.3).

The problem is that when I get that beach ball from changing the language, every single click to anything (Weblink, Opening Finder.. anything) gives me the beach ball again..

Do you think its a hardware issue?

Thanks for your response.

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

No, now I don't think it is a hardware issue, but I could be wrong. First it sounds like the update caused the problem, and thus maybe it is a conflict between the language input method software you are using. What languages do you switch between? And are you using any third party language input methods/software?
    Check the language in System Preferences and make sure everything is set up correctly. I am using ATOK instead of the normal Kotoeri supplied by Apple to input Japanese and had to update the ATOK application/software to assure compatibility with SL.
    Have you done the usual stuff? Run Repair Disk Permissions, boot off the Install DVD and run Disk Utility? Boot off another HD and run Disk Warrior?
    Reinstalled the 10.6.3 combo updater?
    Finding the cause of a problem like this is a process of eliminating possible causes one by one. Good luck, it sounds like a tough one.