Spinning wheel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr M5, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

I have a mid 2010 macbook pro that for the last few months has seemed slow and constantly seems to have the spinning wheel going when opening apps. To be clear I only have a few things open when this happens and nothing intense. I also have 8gb of ram. I've cleaned the cache, run disk aid etc.

Any ideas to fix this?

2. simsaladimbamba

Cleaning the cache actually slows down a computer, as the cache is data, that gets accessed a lot, thus recreating it (which is needed after being deleted) takes time.

Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by CPU to show you the process(es) slowing down your Mac or speeding up your fan(s) or causing more heat.

Open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used and report back.

If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.

3. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Kernal task is what is at the top with 87 threads ocassinaly window server, but overall 92 percent is listed as idle. THe only thing that logs in at start is google play, and while I've cleaned the cache i'm not saying i do it often. Other thoughts?