Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RRRize

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Curious - if I jailbreak and unlock my 3GS 3.1.3 w/ new bootrom using Spirit and Ultrasn0w, will that disable me from upgrading to iOS4 with Pwnage tool when it comes out?

o reiterate, I have a 3GS with 3.1.3 and NEW bootrom and that is why I can't JB and unlock iOS4 right now. Ultimately, I want to know if I should just wait for the Pwnage tool update that will jailbreak my new bootrom phone and enable me to install iOS4.

thanx in advance.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Curious - if I jailbreak and unlock my 3GS 3.1.3 w/ new bootrom using Spirit and Ultrasn0w, will that disable me from upgrading to iOS4 with Pwnage tool when it comes out?

o reiterate, I have a 3GS with 3.1.3 and NEW bootrom and that is why I can't JB and unlock iOS4 right now. Ultimately, I want to know if I should just wait for the Pwnage tool update that will jailbreak my new bootrom phone and enable me to install iOS4.

thanx in advance.

Jailbreaking with Spirit should not interfere with any future jailbreak. PwnageTool will not work with your phone until a new exploit is found that can jailbreak 4.0 after upgrading anyway.

Timbalan

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I agree the wording the Dev team used lately had me wondering if the Spirit jailbreak somehow did something that cannot be undone.

"and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak" like if you did your stuck!

RRRize

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
I agree the wording the Dev team used lately had me wondering if the Spirit jailbreak somehow did something that cannot be undone.

"and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak" like if you did your stuck!

Right. On the iPhone Dev Team's site they say the following under the 3GS subheading:

"If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode."

This sort of implies that those who have used Spirit to jailbreak their device may disqualify the use of future versions of PwnageTool. I'm this close to jailbreaking with Spirit and then unlocking with Ultrasn0w, but if it means I will be disqualified from future PwnageTool > iOS4 + unlock, then I will just hold off. Anyone have any definitive clue?

TwistedBehavior

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Right. On the iPhone Dev Team's site they say the following under the 3GS subheading:

"If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode."

This sort of implies that those who have used Spirit to jailbreak their device may disqualify the use of future versions of PwnageTool. I'm this close to jailbreaking with Spirit and then unlocking with Ultrasn0w, but if it means I will be disqualified from future PwnageTool > iOS4 + unlock, then I will just hold off. Anyone have any definitive clue?

I'm with you on this one I just wish when people put doubts in your mind they would elaborate and get their wording straight. I'm not knocking these guys about if they have a release or even that they should be working to get one for us. Just a few extra seconds to clarify to the hungry community would stop half the things they complain about, such as being pestered and I understand when for example Geohot just tells people "stop asking" however for ones so clever I feel they let themselves down this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.