SplashID - Popular Password Manager Coming to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patrickj, Oct 30, 2007.

1. patrickj macrumors regular

SplashID has been a very popular password manager app for years on Palm and just about every major mobile platform. They've now made clear they're going to be bringing out an online (and iPhone optimized) version soon, and that they'll be doing a full, native app as soon as the SDK is out.
    Pretty good news, especially for folks who have been using SplashID for years on Palm or similar.
    More details on my blog site for anyone who's interested:
    http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/2007/10/30/splashid-popular-password-vault-coming-to-iphone-soon/

2. plasmo macrumors member

This is GREAT news!
    I used SplashID on my Treo, and it is a very good and very useful program.
    Now we wait...

3. mugwump macrumors regular

All my passwords online? Eh, no thanks.

I'm a Password Wallet kind of guy.

4. marcol macrumors regular

I used SplashID for years on Treos (good) and a Nokia E61 (not so good - no syncing) but recently have been trying out 1Password:

http://1passwd.com/

The latest version (2.5) syncs with the iPhone. I can't comment on how well this works (as I don't have an iPhone) but here are couple of other observations:

1Password is Mac only, no Windows version.

The desktop interface is more Apple-like and, IMO, much nicer than SplashID's.

It's a universal binary - SplashID is still PPC.

It has ability to autofill web forms. This works very well and means you only ever have to remember one password (the app is well named!). Obviously this functionality is completely lacking in SplashID. It's compatible with a bunch OS X browsers including Safari and Firefox.

It's very easy to import all of your data from SplashID. This generally works pretty well but some field labels are lost - wasn't a big problem for me but YMMV, especially if you have lots of custom field names in SplashID.

The 1Password data on different Macs can be synchronised using .Mac. This also seems to work without issue and is very useful.​

Bit more info in this thread at Phone Different, including silly new-user questions from someone who hadn't read the help pages (me :eek:):

http://forum.phonedifferent.com/showthread.php?t=154008

I'd be very interested to hear from people who've tried the iPhone syncing.

5. DogcowUK macrumors member

I used several Splash products back when I had a Palm Tungsten, the shopping list app was great although you looked like a complete nerd in Tesco :eek:

6. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

great news! thanks for posting this, patrickj. i've been using splashID for years on my mac and palm pda's. i've been using the mac application only since i got my iphone, and i'm glad to hear they'll be doing a native iphone application (the online version doesn't sound appealing to me)...

7. macrat macrumors regular

Splash ID is one app (in my retired Treo 650) that I really miss in the iPhone. I used it all the time.

I really look forward to see it as a native iPhone app next year.

8. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Yes. The way Password Wallet currently handles it now is pretty clever and stored the encrypted data locally on the iPhone. That got me to switch back to Password Wallet from SplashID, which has been the superior app in Mac OS X and on Palm OS for a while now. I'll re-evaluate again when native apps are available from both companies.

9. beate macrumors regular

I used Splash ID for a while on a Sony Clie - hated the device but loved the program. Have been using it ever since on my desktop just to track...well...everything.

I became concerned about having keystokes captured and having "auto-fill" enabled as I visit so many secure sites for myself and clients. That brought me to 1password. It is now my #1 can't-live-without program.

Syncing with the iPhone was simple. The program does not work the same way on the phone as it does on the desktop (automatically filling in log-in info when the program is invoked) but the information is all there. It is, however, in alpha order, Web Forms & Secure Notes having separate folders. I just had mine way more broken down & organized.

I’d be interested to see what Splash ID looks like on the phone.

10. sharon74 macrumors newbie