Splashtop/Air Video compatibility with iOS 5b3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dodgeroo, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Dodgeroo macrumors regular

I'm thinking of giving iOS 5 a whirl on my iPad, but wondered about a couple of apps, namely Splashtop remote and Air Video.

Does anyone have any experience with these yet?

2. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Splashtop still not working .. Not too impressed with the update.

3. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I could have sworn that Splashtop worked with Beta 1

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Are you being serious? It's a frickin BETA and all that, that implies.

You will have to wait for developers to release updates for their applications to work 100% with iOS 5 which in on itself is the reason Apple actually release these Betas in the first place. (give developers time to sort out potential problems before a commercial release of the operating system update).

The mere fact that this has to be explained or that you have any issue with an app not working suggests you are not a developer and that iOS 5 betas were not intended for you.

OP - consider this are you prepared for a number of your applications to potentially remain broken until iOS5 is properly released. If do - then give it a whirl - but to expect a 100% smooth experience of a BETA because you have a whim is utterly unrealistic.

5. Dodgeroo thread starter macrumors regular

First, I never stated any expectation, let alone 100%. Second, I have plenty of experience with betas, hence my asking if two apps are known to have any issues.

6. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

...dude. he wasn't talking to you.

7. Dodgeroo thread starter macrumors regular

Well that paragraph was addressed to OP, but if he wa referring to other people, then fair enough.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

TheSiren is correct. I was not addressing you as the OP - otherwise I would have quoted you.

The last paragraph was to you and I stand by it. Installing a BETA on a whim / impulse is not a great idea. Even if those two apps worked in one BETA there is a chance they may not when BETA 4 gets released, it just the way things are.

If you really need some apps to function and would hurt if they did not - do not install an iOS BETA.

9. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Without getting into some sort of argy bargy, I want to say that you took my quote out of context in what it appears to please or appease some personal issue you may have.

My one liner, was simply to inform the OP that program they asked about didnt work. Followed by my review on the latest beta 3. While of course a beta has no responsibilities or standards to meet since its a work in progress ... but as I stated, I am not very impressed with the latest beta 3 - and as a tester I as well as anyone else who tries it has that right.

Now you can take that how you like, but regardless if I am a fireman, developer, forum geek or so on.... implying that there is some sort of initiation to be allowed to use a beta is a complete fallacy - the only initiation is the choice an individual makes to use such and the payment processed by apple.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Of course I do not believe there is any 'initiation' other than the basic acceptance that as Beta there are chances things wont work as you want them too.

We really can not be taken as fault for your one liner being seen as out of context when you gave 'no real context' for your comment originally unlike in your subsequent explanation. Only that it followed the statement that 'splashtop was still not working' - and hence we have to assume that your line was in direct relation to that.