Splashtop app pc streamer processor power

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Narco220, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Narco220 macrumors regular

I've started using the splashtop pc remote app on my ipad but my old laptop 1.83ghz core duo 2gb memory doesn't seem to be powerful enough to run the streamer smooth enough for video So flash and anyother type of video is a no go.

Can anyone advise on the system reqirements needed to run the splashtop streamer(pc) smooth enough for watching smooth flash video etc on my ipad?
    As im considering buying a dedicated machine for this use

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

How much memory does the laptop have? It's very likely that memory, not power, is the problem.

Edit: Sorry, I see now you said 2gb. The Splashtop app streams over wifi/Internet. Are you sure the problem isn't the Internet connection?

3. Narco220 thread starter macrumors regular

No its not the internet connection because the laptop becomes very sluggish when my ipad is connected to it via splashtop, So i guess the laptops processor power just isn't powerful enough for the splashtop streamer?

4. DefBref macrumors 6502

Do you mean becomes sluggish when viewing on your ipad? Because thats still likely to be your network connection, because the network can't keep up with all the data passing back and forth.

If you visit the sites directly on your laptop and they playback no problem, then its not your processing power.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

how much of the CPU is splashtop using? (Check activity monitor on OS X or task manager on Windows)

6. Narco220 thread starter macrumors regular

No i mean its sluggish on both my laptop and ipad when using the splashtop app so its not a network issue.

75 - 80% of the 1.83ghz centrino duo cpu is being used when running the splashtop app,
    The pc end system requirments as stated on the splashtop website are
    * • 1 GB of RAM
    * • 1.6 GHz or faster dual-core CPU

So I guess i need more processor power?

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

And is the vast majority of that usage from the splash top process?

It definitely sounds like the CPU is the bottleneck.

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I think the app does use quite a bit of computer resources. I have no problem on my 4gig core 2 duo, 2.4Ghz, unless I try logging in while rendering an image in my 3D software, a process which is itself pretty processor intensive. I usually can't log in until the rendering process is done. Otherwise, it runs well though.

9. Narco220 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you able to view flash video smoothly on your ipad with that laptop spec?