Splashtop better than LogMeIn?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by benhollberg, Jun 1, 2011.

1. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have been using LogMeIn for a very long time and like it a lot. Today I noticed Splashtop is on sale for $2.99. Has anyone used both of these and recommends it over LogMeIn? I think Splashtop does audio as well, is this the only advantage?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If I am not mistaken, Splashtop requires you be on the local network

3. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Not anymore....but that only works with machines running windows at the moment.

4. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Not true.. You can use SplashTop over the Internet with the Macs as well (just without Internet discovery feature). I do it all the time.

And yes - SplashTop is better than LogMeIn in my opinion. I own both, but wouldn't have bothered with LMI if SplashTop was available at the time of my purchase.

5. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Hi, today i bought this wonderful app, it's the best VNC app money can get.

Seriously, it's awesome, I have been using VNC programs for a lot of years now (iPad, Mac, Windows) and this is by far the best.

You can use it through the internet and the lag is still really really low.

You only have to install an app on your Mac and it's ready to go, if you want internet access you have to do a little setup :

1.- Forward ports on your router
    2.- Configure the iPad app (You only have to insert your IP)
    3.- That's it!

I've been thinking of selling my iPad and getting an Air, but with this VNC I can do my work remotely with no problems at all (excepts the iPad resolution can not be good for some tasks)

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

Well, except that Splashtop is not a VNC client. It requires a proprietary app on the remote machine, just like LogMeIn.

7. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

How do you get it to work on a mac without an Internet discovery feature? I'd like to use my mac with splash top without being on the local network.

8. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

So can anyone confirm that Splashtop does audio as well? I thought I heard that somewhere but can't remember.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

10. jacobtf macrumors newbie

Yes, it does audio. Well at least on Windows. Dunno about Mac.

11. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Just configure port forwarding on your broadband router. See here:
    http://support-remote.splashtop.com...-i-connect-to-my-home-pc-from-outside-of-home

It does audio

12. Sjoseph1 macrumors newbie

Splashtop issue

So why is it whenever i use splashtop and same issue with pocket cloud that the screen on my desktop changes? The icons get huge and move. Even when I end my remote session they stay like that. Any assistance appreciated.

13. Blindroad macrumors newbie

I use no-ip to update the ipaddress because my ISP is DHCP. I ping my xxx.no-ip.com address and get the ip address that I need.

I added the ports to my router and it just works.

I have been able to play World Of Warcraft somewhat(Mainly the auction house and while using my iPad and movies play really well on my wireless network at home.

If I use it through the internet it is not as fast but I can still play a movie or sound files. When a movie plays it automatically skips frames to keep up with the sound.

I heard about Splashtop right before I was about to purchase LMI. Very happy customer.

BTW the above is for Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Premium(TEsted).

14. Blindroad macrumors newbie

Depending on the hardware and the drivers your mileage may vary. With my Asus G73 with Windows 7 Pre and my Macbook with Snow Leopard it does change the screen but it will automatically change back.

I was very surprised that when I shake the iPad that I was able to see my other monitor attached to my Asus laptop. At first I though there was an error then read that you shake to change monitors.

I was also amazed that when I connect and disconnect that it will save the location of my icons either way.

15. err404 macrumors 68020

The app is designed to make controlling your desktop and steaming video a smooth and intuitive experience. Lowering the screen resolution helps in both of these areas while lowering CPU utilization.
    You can disable this feature under the advanced section of your connection; resolution: use remote computers native setting.

FYI - It's supposed to revert back to the native resolution once you end your session. If it fails to do so, email the developer and report a bug.

16. Sjoseph1 macrumors newbie

Thanks. I will report the bug since I understand the reason but it doesn't revert back to native resolution once the session ends