Splice Magsafe 2 cable + Magsafe powerbrick?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ndlundberg, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ndlundberg macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!
    I've got one 60w magsafe power supply on which the cable has broken on the computer end and a magsafe 2 45w power supply on which the cable has broken closer to the brick end.

I'm wondering if it would be safe to cut away the broken part of my magsafe brick and splice it with my fully functional magsafe 2 cable?

[​IMG]

2. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i wouldn't. Of course i'm not an electrician, but i'm assuming you aren't either which is why you are asking here:p

if it were me i would just buy a new one. i have done some basic electric work (running romex, installing fixtures etc) and whatever hack-job i would do repairing a computer adapter would make me too nervous to plug it into my $1000+ machine, you know?

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Have to agree here. Would not want to take a chance, especially if I was not qualified to do it. Would hate to damage my laptop because I did something wrong putting the wires together. Would be an expensive lesson to learn.

4. ndlundberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I suppose you guys are right – it would be stupid to plug it in fingers crossed. And no, I'm by no means an electrician.

I can't imagine how it could go wrong tho. But wouldn't try it unless someone confirms it.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Famous last words...uttered through the smoke and fire!:eek:

;)

6. Robyr macrumors regular

What you are suggesting is that Apple's Magsafe to Magsafe 2 adapter is a fire hazard. You guys need to think this through. There is absolutely zero reason this won't work except for the fact that the guy asking doesn't know enough to do it without asking.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No, what I am suggesting is that the joke (not subtle at all) was missed.:p

Did the smilies not give just a tiny hint?;)

8. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

OP. Go for it...no harm in it. Just make sure you match up wire colors. Task is simple. On a more difficult side, the wire may be solder resistant-ish....meaning you may need a hot iron to complete the task.

9. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I've done this lots of times. Like the post above says, triple check the colors so you don't reverse positive and negative.

That said, I always double check with a voltmeter after soldering.

10. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I fall solidly on the side of the previous posters - if you have to ask, don't do it. Likelihood of a problem if you are careful? Low. Damage if you do have a problem? High...

11. mattferg macrumors 6502

I've got some electrical training and have done this sort of thing before on all sorts of chargers.

My opinion? It's a stop-gap until you wait for the replacement to arrive. It's a pain in the ass, it breaks, it shorts out, and there are all sorts of problems. Just spend the money and buy a new brick, avoid all the hassle.