Splicing earphone/headphone plug to speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jakdominance, Sep 22, 2009.

1. jakdominance macrumors member

jakdominance

So I am trying to make these old old speakers (they are called Sonic Dynamic Stereo System, the only thing written on the whole damn speaker) so that they fit into my computer/iPod/anything with a headphone jack. I read that this could be done online, but here's my problem. The headphones i'm working with have three wires: red painted, green painted and unpainted copper wires. Each of the two speakers has two thicker ones. On the rubber part of one it says "CSA TYPE TI AWM 90degC FTI 26AWG LL47528". On the other there is a white stripe.

Now I'm wondering if (a) it is possible to splice the two together and (b) which wires go where. It seems like any combination I have tried so far have produced nothng or spotty almost random sound that cannot be reproduced. From that it seems there is no need for amplification. Any advice would be nice and thanks in advance!

2. gorn macrumors member

I'd imagine that the copper is signal ground and red/green are left and right (or vice versa).

Do the speakers have an amplifier built in? Like they plug into the wall?

Did you strip the paint off the wires? A lighter works well if it's really paint rather than insulation.

3. jakdominance thread starter macrumors member

jakdominance

yeah, it was acrylic paint or something. I just burned it off and it worked like a charm.

the speakers don't plug into the wall at all, so the sound really works well. Now i just have to go and get a soldering iron so i don't have to squeeze the electrical tape when it goes out. :p

Thanks!