Splicing video's into a side-by-side view

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MrM, Aug 3, 2009.

1. MrM macrumors 6502

Hey guys- I've got two cameras that we run on our car at the races, and with different views. I've been searching around google for a program that will allow me to merge the files to give me a side-by-side view. I haven't been able to find anything worth while. I tried ffmpegX, but had no luck installing it. As far as I know iMovie doesn't do this.

Anyone have any suggestions for a free program that will do the above mentioned task?

Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iMovie includes the picture-in-picture effect:

In addition to video effects displayed in the Preview Palette, iMovie includes picture-in-picture and green-screen effects you can apply using the Advanced Tools pop-up menu.
    from Apple's iMovie page.

The picture-in-picture effect is basically what you want, at least the big editing software titles accomplish your desired effect by using that p-i-p-effect due to resizing and positioning and cropping.

Have a look for this effect in iMovie and see if that helps.

PS: plurals like "videos" are not built with an apostrophe.

3. MrM thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but PIP is not what I am looking for. I am looking to combine the videos and show them side by side, without making any changes to the videos. I want video A to be next to video B, not inside of one another. Mainly because I'm hoping to literally combine the videos and double the width of the completed project. See below.

Attached Files:

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then you have to create a bigger project with double the horizontal size of the original videos. I don't know if that is possible with iMovie, as it most likely will resize the imported footage.

What shall the end product be?

If DVD, then you can surely use the PIP effect in iMovie (maybe with a black picture on the first video track, if even possible), as the PIP effect has to be applied to both videos (when in synch), so they can be properly resized.

But that all would be easier with Final Cut Express or some kind of Compositing program.

There is one, that is free, it's called Jashaka, but I don't know how far you can go with that.

Have you taken a look at MPEG Streamclip?
    Or even Virtual Dub? It's Windows software but maybe it can help you accomplish your task.

The following is an example done with FCE with two pictures in less than five minutes.

[​IMG]

5. MrM thread starter macrumors 6502

6. huntercr macrumors 65816

Yet again, Quicktime Pro proves itself to be one of the most versatile, yet extraordinarily poorly documented programs with difficult to access advance features. I had no idea you could do this with Quick time.

7. tonyggg macrumors newbie

Thanks, and help!!

Hi Mr M.

I was looking to do exactly this and have just purchased QTP to do it with. However after point 4 I get a little lost. I am trying to join 2 movies that a square and both 881x881 pixels so that they are side by side. I don't mind decreasing the overall size so that the end product fits on a screen i.e rather than 1762x881 it is 881x440.

Thanks in advance for any tips on how you achieved this!