Splinter Cell Conviction $16

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by lewdvig, Apr 2, 2011.

1. colocolo macrumors 6502

At this point, I think this game is expensive even at $1.

Here's a thread in their support forum detailing a nasty bug with the OS X port.
    I am on the same boat, can't get it to work reliably. It starts the first couple of times, then it won't launch although if you check your process list it will be there, occupying your whole CPU. If you want to play again, you have to download the whole damn game again (no erasing preferences will do; probably you could get by just downloading a part, but I haven't been able to stumble with the file that I have to redownload yet, and at 10 GB, it's a rather slow process).

I have contacted UBI support but they have yet to get back to me.

2. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

Yikes! That is nasty.

I'll see how far I get today. I've heard that it is a one sitting game (under 10 hours).

Why download it again? It's a disk img that you can re-instal from.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

He's referring to the Steam version.

You might try dragging it out of the Steam folder and then replacing it though.

4. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

I finished it just a few minutes ago.

Great game. It's the first SC game that I have played. I really enjoyed it.

So it is a short game. On normal difficulty the game challenge was just right for me. Each area is like a puzzle that you need to use against the enemies. The violence was very gratifying. :D

I was in/out of the game a few times. No problems with save games etc. Mine was the the D2D version linked above.

The key to smooth gameplay seems to be v-sync off. Visually I could not tell the difference between medium and high detail. So I left it on medium for better framerate.

There seems to be an audio problem. Dialogue drops out, so I would recommend leaving subtitles on. IMO it is DX audio and Cider channels not quite adding up.

I'll try co-op and multiplayer and see if anyone else is playing.