Split Between iMac And MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rezdwan, Aug 16, 2007.

1. rezdwan macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

My name is Rezdwan Hamid and I am from Singapore.

I am thinking of switching to a Mac and hope to do more research on it. Currently, I am split between the new iMac and the MacBook. The new iMac looks cool and I like the thought of having an all-in-one computer. At the same time, having a portable MacBook means I can use it anywhere in my house.

So, I need your advice as to whether it will be practical if I were to get the iMac and move it from room to room when I need to. Or should I get the MacBook even though I don't foresee bringing the MacBook outside of my house and I liked the idea of using a portable Mac whilst sitting in my bed.

All your comments will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
    Rezdwan Hamid

2. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

welcome to the forums and apple rezdwan. I am confused about your question because you basically answered it already. If you move it around your house and like the idea of sitting on the bed and surfing the web, etc. then get a computer that you can do that with easier. As I am writing this, I am sitting on a bed and am very comfortable using a laptop. Be warned that the macbooks don't have as much video RAM as the macbook pros. If you are going to be doing a lot of video watching/editing be warned that it will use up your system RAM and CPU to do the video. If not, then forget what I just wrote, it doesn't apply.

3. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Moving the iMac from room to room occasionally would work, if you don't have external speakers and get wireless keyboard/mouse, since unplugging and replugging those would be a major pain in the ass. However, the iMac is kinda heavy, so I wouldn't recommend it if it's something you're gonna do on a daily basis. Plus, you might drop it :eek:. Personally, I can't do without my laptop. I hate sitting at desks, and I usually travel 2-3 times a year. Overall, I'd recommend a macbook if you are planning to move around a lot and don't need the extra power that iMac offers.

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

It really depends on whether you need the extra power in the iMac; if you do word processing and the like (and no games) get the Macbook. If you play games or do anything more intensive, get the iMac.

The practical differences between the two are the video card, hard drive space, and screen space among others. The cpu performance, unless you count the seconds for a photoshop filter, really is quite small.

5. rezdwan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Corrosive vinyl

Thank you for your reply.

Also, thank you for sharing your experience regarding using a notebook in bed. I think I'll be doing that more often than I thought.

Yes, I foresee using a Mac more for photo and video editing. If I have decided on a portable Mac, should I get the MacBook or MacBook Pro? Thank you.

Regards,
    Rezdwan Hamid
    Hello teflon

Thank you to you too for sharing your experiences. After some thought, I guess a portable Mac will be more suited to my needs.

Like I have mentioned above, do I really need a MacBook Pro for photo and video editing? Or will a MacBook suffice? Thank you.

Regards,
    Rezdwan Hamid
    Hello Muncher

I am not into games very much. Here and there occasionally. So, I guess I don't really need an iMac.

How much difference would it make to have a better video card, hard drive space and screen space between the MacBook and MacBook Pro? Thank you.

Regards,
    Rezdwan Hamid

6. Faizan sheikh macrumors newbie

hey friends i want to buy new pc/laptop.actually i need it for my 3d modeling work in sofwares like rhino,revit,3d max,grasshopper etc. which is the best and perfect product of apple now???plz reply... :)