Split Decision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mitzuoka, Aug 11, 2008.

  1. Mitzuoka macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    #1
    Hey everyone...my first thread on macrumours. I've been reading about how Apple MIGHT have a new update this september / october. Up until two weeks ago, i had been using a Sony Vaio TX630P. Great laptop, 3 lbs, 11 in. screen. It died due to a motherboard failure or something. Sony wants $700 + shipping and stuff for the repair and I'm not sure its worth spendin that much for a laptop i got in december of my freshman year of highschool (I'm entering my senior year now). My question, like most of the others on this forum, is should I take advantage of the Student Discount and get one of the MBs or should I wait till September 15th? How sure is everyone that there will be an update of something on September 15th? I would have no problem waiting for that date as my senior year actually starts on that day. If the update isnt until mid or late October, then thats a problem. How major are these updates anyways? Are they minor or so major that its worth the wait? I really wanna have a laptop ready by the start of classes but i wouldnt mind waiting for teh Sept. 15 update, if that is the date? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

    PS...the sony vaio initially cost $2400 and I bought an extedned warranty (expired) for another $300 and if i do the service its another $700 and another warranty for 300 to ensure i dont pay another 700....$1300...worth it?
     
  2. TopGear300 macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #2
    Wait!

    Rumors are strong for the 15th release date. The machines haven't been refreshed it quite sometime now and they haven't bee updated in a loong time! It will be a big deal this upgrade and it will be worth waiting for. I always advise people that if it is just like a refresh or a speed bump on the horizon, not necessarily worth waiting for, but if it suppose to be redone completely, then it is worth waiting for. Two reasons, If you do care about owning the latest and greatest then you would be quite upset if they redo your newly purchase mac right away, and if you don't care then you may be able to get the current machienes now for a cheaper price! My vote is WAIT :D
     
  3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

    EricNau

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #3
    We can't know for sure, but it appears that the upcoming updates might be somewhat significant. However, it also doesn't appear that they'll be coming until after the student discount ends.

    Also, the student discount only applies to college students.
     
  4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #4
    If you are talking about the Macbook vs the Macbook Pro, I doubt you will see an update to the Macbook BEFORE the Macbook Pro. The top end Macbook is pretty much equal to the Lower end Macbook Pro processor-wise and if they do an update, the MB will surpass the MBP.

    As for the MBP, there are other threads on this subject and many people have posted that the next upgrade to Montevina chipset is not going to be that significant unless you run demanding applications. If I remember what I read, it will have a faster buss, better support for SSE4 and perhaps a bigger track pad.

    The biggest changes are going to come when Nehalem comes out, but that's not going to happen until next year.
     
  5. jroller macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #5
    I think this advice is right on target. However, I wouldn't bet on Sept. 15, per se. Mid-Sept. is what is being rumored, and whether that means the 15th or 18th, I don't think anyone knows for sure, but do look for an announcement, at least, by then.
     
  6. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #6
    I don't mean to throw cold water on your exuberance, but it's not likely that it will be redone completely. I really think that Apple will hold off until Nehalem next year before they completely redesign their laptops.
     
  7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #7
    I would actually say it's a matter of personal preference. If you like the design/specs of the current MacBook line, go for it. But if you want a feature that's crucial to your workflow and is strongly rumored to be in the next update, then wait for it. Remember, if you buy one now, you get a free iPod touch. Just make a pros/cons list to see if it's worth it. Heck, I'm using a Santa Rosa MacBook right now and I certainly won't shell out another $1,000+ for the new ones. I like it the way it is right now, even though Santa Rosa is already a last-gen processor, the MacBooks right now use Penryn.
     
  8. TopGear300 macrumors regular

    TopGear300

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #8
    I do think they are going to update majorly because, for some reason, when speed bumps are coming we are aware of them. Not only has the MacBook kept the same design since it's introduction, but there are these leaked pictures of a metal enclosure. I get the feeling :apple: is going all aluminum for all its machines. Customers love them and they are easy to make and easy to recycle. Take a look at the iMac, the only non aluminum mac out there is the macbook. BTW don't quote me on exactly the 15th :p , apple usually releases stuff on tuesday which would make it a 16th release date and still who knows?? :confused: I would just stay the rumor mill is generating enough stuff to make me wait a month at least. In less you absolutely have to have it right now!:cool:
     
  9. iOrlando macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #9
    since you are new to macrumors...always remember.... MAC RUMORS. People love to spread rumors, but more importantly they love to make things sound so big and much better then what proly will actually happen.

    You would be shocked the number of people on this site that dont like the iphone because they want this and they want that etc. while the average joe is still in shock at such a wonderful peice of technology. so keep that in mind.

    1) no education discount for you
    2) mid sept for release is a stretch. I say 1-2 weeks into October. Depending on what exactly apple has up its sleeve..you might get a press release or annoucement from apple ...possibly end of september
    3) dont expect a total change. The look will be different..but its not going to be like an apple turning into a steak. It will be a peach turning into a nectarine. If you buy a macbook now..you wont see the new ones and be like..oh wow i cant use this old macbook..its useless...
     
  10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

    JML42691

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #10
    Nobody knows for sure as to how great of a change it will be, but there are many rumors out there that are suggesting that this update will be more than the usual updates that we get. There have been rumors of case upgrades, along with many other things that will make this upgrade worthwhile. I for one think that we will see a minor spec update in September, with the major changes happening at MWSF '09 in January. So if I were in your shoes, then I would wait it out until Sept 15th rolls around to see if Apple has released updated computers, and if not, then make your purchase then. But I honestly do not think that we will be seeing any major update to the notebook line until the MWSF expo in early January.

    So in conclusion, wait until September 15th and if Apple hasn't announced new MacBooks/MacBook Pros by then, then make your purchase, if they did announce a new MB/MBP, then make the purchase when it is released. But do not expect any major upgrades other than fresh specs until early-January at MWSF (from my personal opinion, as September is usually the iPod's month, and new MacBooks/Pros would be the perfect "big-thing" at MWSF).
     
  11. Mitzuoka thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    #11
    thanks for all the replies. Suppose its not the Sept.15 release date that some ppl above said r very strong...then it would mean its in mid october or what would ? i dont know if ill b able to w8 that long as all my papers for IB, for those of u who kno what it is, are due by the end of december and these are big papers. some people say that these r major updates...some say not...i understand that hsi is a RUMORS forum but what are the odds leaning towards? i've been doin research myself so i hope i dont sound like a guy whose done nothing on his own. the current line of macs would no longer b on their site rite? would the prices b the same they are now? (Without student discount) And i read someone said the discount is only if you are going to college...i went to the discount thing and it asked for College or K-12 and my highschool is listed under teh k-12 thing so i think it does apply. thanks again for all the suggestions...lemme kno if u think i should wait or go for the laptop now....thanks for the ones who already did
     
  12. iOrlando macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #12
    K-12 is for teachers and staff, not students.

    in all honestly..dont let one of us decide your purchase. If you dont need a laptop now (meaning you have another one or a desktop that is working) just wait..no big deal. If you need a laptop since you dont have one, or it broke, or you are moving away, then get one now..

    I think majority of people would say the revision is a major one. I actually think $200 price drop (maybe too much...$100 probably) for each model. No surprise there really..technology gets cheaper over time.
     
  13. Mitzuoka thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    #13
    well then i guess im waiting...i think...i didnt know it was only for teahers...oh well...thanks for the suggestions...keep em coming lol:)
     

Share This Page