Split Libraries for iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mic j, Sep 21, 2016.

1. mic j macrumors 68030

I have tried moving my iTunes library to the HDD that houses all of my media (music, movies, home videos). This drive is attached to an AEBS and my MBP uses wifi to access it.

Although, that would be my preferred format, it seems a little slower accessing the tracks, art work and searches. Although everything plays fine. So I am considering moving the library back to my MBP. The problem is that the movie/home video folder is way too big for my MBP HDD. So I am wondering how I would structure things to have my music folder (which does easily fit on the MBP drive) along with my iTunes library file and have movies/home videos be housed on the NAS it resides on now. I understand that I can turn off the option to Keep Media Folder Organized and this setup should work fine. But is there a way to have my music (on my MBP) kept organized but the movies/videos (on the NAS) not organized and on a separate drive? I think I know the answer but sometimes you guys surprise me with out of the box (at least for me) solutions.

By the way, I have looked around on this subject but everything was a little dated.

2. Medusa3 macrumors member

Medusa3

There is a setting in iTunes advanced preferences - uncheck the "Copy iTunes Media folder when adding to library."

Everything stays on the hard drive and iTunes only accesses it when needed - freeing up your computer for other fun things.

It's how my home network is set up and works wonderfully!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201625

3. mic j thread starter macrumors 68030

So basically, when adding to the library, you choose the location (music folder, movie folder, etc), instead of just "adding" and let iTunes add to the folder you have designated as the "iTunes Media". Right? If you don't have the copy to option checked, can you still use the option to "Keep the iTunes Media Folder Organized"?

Do you still designate some folder as the Media Folder on that tab? If you do, I assume that would be the Music folder on my MBP, right?

4. Medusa3 macrumors member

Medusa3

I have my HDD attached via USB to my MBPr and on that HDD I have a folder for Movies, a folder for Music, a folder for Ringtones, etc... I open each folder in iTunes. Nothing belonging to the actual media of my iTunes library is on my computer. It's all on the HDD

5. mic j thread starter macrumors 68030

Got it, so if there is nothing in the media folder (inside iTunes Library folder)) and it's not adding anything to the folder, there is nothing to "keep organized". So I should not designate the Music folder (outside of the iTunes folder) on my MBP HDD as the iTunes Media Folder, just keep the default Media Folder the one located inside the iTunes Library folder. Do I have that straight?

6. Medusa3 macrumors member

Medusa3

That's right!

7. mic j thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a go.