Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Can only certain apps only use slide-in and split screen?

All the demos I've seen so far use the stock apple apps.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
anyone disappointed that swipe to go forward in safari has been removed for this?

do you think it will return to iPhone after beta 1 or will they keep it removed for consistency with iPad?

don't you think they could have used a two finger swipe from the edge for multitasking instead? and leave safari swipe to go forward?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
anyone disappointed that swipe to go forward in safari has been removed for this?

do you think it will return to iPhone after beta 1 or will they keep it removed for consistency with iPad?

don't you think they could have used a two finger swipe from the edge for multitasking instead? and leave safari swipe to go forward?

I read that you slide from left and then flick it left to go forward. Not sure if true.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I read that you slide from left and then flick it left to go forward. Not sure if true.
Oh wow thanks very much for this tip!! it's not exactly correct but you led me to experiment and find the trick: swipe from the right edge towards the left (as you normally would for forward) - there is no animation at this stage except for a subtle greying of the right edge - then flick back to the right. it's a bit jarring as there is no animation for the first part but it works. I'm not sure if this is by design or what as it seems very weird. but appreciate the info, cheers

edit: but how does this work on iPad? does the 'slide over' view come over as you begin the swipe from right to left? and does the final left to right flick dismiss the 'slide over' view AND go forward? this seems like a weird thing. I hope at least they just reinstate the old behaviour for iPhone.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Oh wow thanks very much for this tip!! it's not exactly correct but you led me to experiment and find the trick: swipe from the right edge towards the left (as you normally would for forward) - there is no animation at this stage except for a subtle greying of the right edge - then flick back to the right. it's a bit jarring as there is no animation for the first part but it works. I'm not sure if this is by design or what as it seems very weird. but appreciate the info, cheers

edit: but how does this work on iPad? does the 'slide over' view come over as you begin the swipe from right to left? and does the final left to right flick dismiss the 'slide over' view AND go forward? this seems like a weird thing. I hope at least they just reinstate the old behaviour for iPhone.

I haven't gotten it to work on iPad Air 2, but I may not have been doing it right.

Would prefer something like two finger swipe for slide over. I keep activating it accidentally in various games and such.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Couldn't help smiling after visiting my local John Lewis store. Had a play with the Samsung tablet. Apple have literally copied this feature point by point. I guess that's payback thought ;)

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I haven't gotten it to work on iPad Air 2, but I may not have been doing it right.

Would prefer something like two finger swipe for slide over. I keep activating it accidentally in various games and such.

I haven't used iOS 9 yet but I agree. Slide over should be two finger swipe with a handle like notifications center and control center has in full screen apps. Seems like an oversight. Going forward should be a simple swipe like going back. What they have now is confusing.

Edit: Just thought of something. This is why force touch is so great. Simple slide will go back and forward. But a hard swipe from right side will bring up slide over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.