Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Anyone think that Split Screen/Slide Over will bring about more universal apps?
Every time I see a Split Screen or Slide Over demo, it looks like the app is in its iPhone layout instead of its usual iPad layout.

Because of this, it seems like one would need to at least accommodate that when you build your app. But would simply doing that also make it a no-brainer to now make that app universal?

Get what I mean?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Anyone think that Split Screen/Slide Over will bring about more universal apps?
Every time I see a Split Screen or Slide Over demo, it looks like the app is in its iPhone layout instead of its usual iPad layout.

Because of this, it seems like one would need to at least accommodate that when you build your app. But would simply doing that also make it a no-brainer to now make that app universal?

Get what I mean?

Yes, I hope so. With auto-layout in iOS 8, developers can make universal apps (for the most part). But I'm curious to see how apps like Garageband or iMovie work with Split Screen (as those apps are landscape apps).

Reactions: eyeseeyou

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yes, I hope so. With auto-layout in iOS 8, developers can make universal apps (for the most part). But I'm curious to see how apps like Garageband or iMovie work with Split Screen (as those apps are landscape apps).

Hmm yeah, perhaps some apps may not be a good fit for Split Screen. Then again I suppose there could be a minimal version of GarageBand, for example. Somehow 2 music apps at once? One recording into GarageBand? If that's possible. You could have GB there for levels, and live mixing while you use the other app as an instrument or whatever.

I'm also curious to see if apps like Fantastical 2 will remain split, or if they'll end up making a universal app.

To any developers in here, what do you think your game plan will be? If you have 2 split apps, will you make it universal because of Split Screen? Or if you have an app only one one (iPhone or iPad) will you consider making it universal because of Split Screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.