All iPads Split Screen multitasking for the Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MartinAppleGuy, May 22, 2015.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

If the rumours are true about split screen multitasking coming to iOS 9, do you think it will be compatible with the Air 2? We all know that the Air 2 would be more than powerful enough for it with its CPU scoring 4,500 on Geekbench and 2GB of RAM so the only excuse I can imagine Apple making to not ring it to the Air 2 is that the screen size is too small and the iPad Pro is the only one big enough.

I personally feel that the 9.7" screen is more than enough for split screen, and competitors such as Samsung have the feature not only on their tablets, but also their 5 odd inch phones.

I just hope that planned obsolescence isn't in order at Appke and they use that to push people to upgrade.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Obviously no one really knows yet. It depends upon whether or not the implementation of multiwindow relies on hardware-specific features of a new chip. If it does, then it would be impossible to support it on the Air 2. In a similar way that Siri is restricted to certain devices.

3. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

Siri was not restricted to certain devices because of the Hardware. It was because Apple marketing choosed to.

With jailbreak and a tool that changed the ID of the device when sending the request to the official servers it worked flawless.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

hmm, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the clarification.

5. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

If it is mentioned at WWDC you can count on it being available for the air 2. Apple wouldn't reveal a software feature unless it was able to be used on current devices.

6. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Unless the unveil an iPad Pro.

I'm just hoping that with that leaked code in iOS 8, it will come to the more than powerful enough Air 2.

7. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I really don't see why not. Here are the reasons:

1. If iOS can run on 512MB, then an iPad Air 2 with 2GB should be able to run 2 apps fine, and even as much as 4. And the same applies to running 2 apps on 1GB.
    2. 12.2 inches of screen size are not needed for 2 or even 4 apps running together. One should be able to run these on 9.7 or even down to the 5.5 inches of the iPhone. without getting claustrophobic.
    3. The 4:3 aspect ratio is ideal