iPad Split screen whilst extending ios 'desktop'

Discussion in 'iPad' started by titanium69, Jan 5, 2016.

1. titanium69 macrumors newbie

titanium69

I`m looking to use a mobile OS as my main working machine (at most i just need to browse the internet & use word processors)
    Would it be possible to get the ipad to 'extend' (not mirror!!) its 'desktop' to an external monitor?

2. username: macrumors 6502a

I've only seen mirroring with AirPlay. Pretty sure this isn't possible.

3. titanium69 thread starter macrumors newbie

titanium69

Tbh i dont think it is possible either but I want to be 100% sure.

Any idea how I can create a desktop experience with my ipad? that also means interacting with ios through a touchscreen monitor.. think this is possible?

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Do you have a desktop or laptop?

I used to use Splashtop on my iPad to remote in to my Mac Mini.

5. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

I think the touch screen monitor interaction should be possible but only if you have a lightning to hdmi port... although I may be wrong.

I wanted to do something similar my self, but even with the adapter it only mirrors :(

6. titanium69 thread starter macrumors newbie

titanium69

I do have both of those. I dont entirely understand your suggestion, could you elaborate more? ... is that for remote viewing.. how would it work here?

:( pity.. I was considering an ipad pro to replicate this 'desktop' experience but then i would lose the ability to type on it like the pic show so I`d need an air anyway.... (plus I want to use clamshell keyboards which I doubt the ipadpro will get...
    [​IMG]

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

You can do this in a few very specific ways.

Keynote and PowerPoint have "presenter" views where the slide is shown on an external monitor and a special view with notes, current slide, upcoming slide and a clock/timer are displayed on the iPad.

There are a few other apps that have 'presentation' or sharing modes which do something similar. For example, GoodReader, a PDF view and file organizer, can show documents on an external display while the iPad shows a different screen (file browser or PDF markup mode, though not a different app)

Some games specifically coded for a second screen can show a different display on an external monitor.

But unlike a desktop OS, you can't run two apps on two different displays at the same time. iOS doesn't (yet) have that ability. Apps have to be specifically coded to support a dual-display function.

Any app, on the other hand, can be mirrored on to an external display, but this simply replicates the iPad's screen on the external monitor. There is no support for external touchscreens.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2016, Original Post Date: Jan 5, 2016 ---
    There are at least two clamshell keyboard cases for the iPad Pro on the market.

8. titanium69 thread starter macrumors newbie

titanium69

Can you link them as I cannot find them
    The ones I am finding are unreleased

9. username: macrumors 6502a

I'm reading this thread and thinking "it's never even occurred to me to want to do this" and I wondered why. I think it's because there is no trackpad so how would I control the external monitor? As you say you would need it to be touch screen, but that sounds like a pain in the ass?

10. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

That actually is a fair point. All this time that I was thinking of a way to add a second screen on to my iPad I never once wondered how I would control the second screen... :p