Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I've just discovered by accident the split screen mode of El Capitan.

Oh why, oh why it took me this long to find out?
I don't even want to think at what else I am probably also missing.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I love it.
I also use a Win PC and I have always loved how you can dock windows to the side.
Split screen is even more flexible that that due to the ease of resizing the two apps moving the dividing line.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I love it.
I also use a Win PC and I have always loved how you can dock windows to the side.
Split screen is even more flexible that that due to the ease of resizing the two apps moving the dividing line.
And now in Windows 10 1511, their implementation on Mac OS X "split screen" goes to a whole new level. You now can do something like El Capitan split screen mode does: adjust window size of two apps as you wish. Better yet, you can adjust them even if they are the same app. (Say two word document windows)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yeah, the implementation of split screen on mac is absolute crap. Holy god what the hell were they thinking?
What specific complaints do you have? I find it very useful.
And now in Windows 10 1511, their implementation on Mac OS X "split screen" goes to a whole new level. You now can do something like El Capitan split screen mode does: adjust window size of two apps as you wish. Better yet, you can adjust them even if they are the same app. (Say two word document windows)
You can do exactly the same thing in OS X. Word doesn't work with El Capitan's split screen feature because, well...Microsoft.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

You can do exactly the same thing in OS X. Word doesn't work with El Capitan's split screen feature because, well...Microsoft.
Well, I don't expect Microsoft word would work with such feature in OS X. However, the focal point is: Windows 10 1511 supports adjusting two same apps window using the way we use similar in OS X. Say, I can adjust two explorer Windows, two paint applications, etc. Due to limitation on OS X, I cannot achieve such feature.
Well, uh, long story short, I appreciate that Windows now has this feature too. And in Windows, the result is even somewhat better.

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015

Are you sure its MS and not Apple? The split screen mode is pretty bad in OS X

Reactions: Shirasaki

akkers

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2015
You can do exactly the same thing in OS X. Word doesn't work with El Capitan's split screen feature because, well...Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

Ofcourse Microsoft Word works in split screen mode on OS X El Cap.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Of course Microsoft Word works in split screen mode on OS X El Cap.
I have Microsoft Office 2011. It doesn't work. I guess the latest version does.
[doublepost=1462081179][/doublepost]
Windows 10 1511 supports adjusting two same apps window using the way we use similar in OS X. Say, I can adjust two explorer Windows, two paint applications, etc. Due to limitation on OS X, I cannot achieve such feature.
Sure you can. All of Apple's apps support split screen. The apps that support multiple windows can place windows side by side too. Here's a picture of two Safari windows side by side. The center can be adjusted left or right as desired. I can do the same with Number, Pages, Keynote, Mail, Preview, Maps, iTunes, Messages, Reminders, Notes, and Textedit. I didn't check any others.

Screens.jpg

Here's a pretty good video that explains how to use the feature:

Last edited:
Reactions: 997440

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have Microsoft Office 2011. It doesn't work. I guess the latest version does.
[doublepost=1462081179][/doublepost]
Sure you can. All of Apple's apps support split screen. The apps that support multiple windows can place windows side by side too. Here's a picture of two Safari windows side by side. The center can be adjusted left or right as desired. I can do the same with Number, Pages, Keynote, Mail, Preview, Maps, iTunes, Messages, Reminders, Notes, and Textedit. I didn't check any others.

Screens.jpg

Here's a pretty good video that explains how to use the feature:

Well then. If it is implemented as you show, then there is not much difference between two "split screens". But I also believe the ability to leave dock and menubar visible would be really welcome. Windows implementation naturally leaves menubar and "dock" (task bar) visible.
But, "it would be better" does not mean it must be. I am OK with full screen.

imcharlie

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
I've just discovered by accident the split screen mode of El Capitan.

Oh why, oh why it took me this long to find out?
I don't even want to think at what else I am probably also missing.

A month ago I bought an LG 32-inch monitor to team with my 13-inch MacBook Pro running Sierra and it worked with 1-4 screens. It was great. Now, for some unknown reason, I can no longer get split screens. I have re-downloaded monitor setup software but to no avail. Very frustrating. I loved the 4 screens.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Agree, after using Win 10'split screen then you see the OS X version is junk. It's pathetic that they suffer from NIH at Apple and force us to use this. Thank goodness for apps like Magnet.

Actually I found that Magnet is almost useless if you have multiple desktops open, as I do all the time. Unless you get in the habit of using the keyboard actions, when you try to dock an app to the side of the screen it almost always moves to the next desktop first.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Actually I found that Magnet is almost useless if you have multiple desktops open, as I do all the time. Unless you get in the habit of using the keyboard actions, when you try to dock an app to the side of the screen it almost always moves to the next desktop first.

Are you using it right? I've never had this problem with Magnet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.