Split terminal not working right on Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bowjest, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bowjest macrumors newbie

I'm trying to use Lynxlet in a split terminal so that I can load two pages of the same site, but seem them immediately next to each other.

I have no problem getting the pane to split, the problem is that once the split has taken place I can't separate what I do between the panes. Whatever I type in the one pane appears in both. They mirror each other.

Can anyone tell me how I can make the two panes independent from one another? I've had no luck so far on Google.

Thanks,

bowjest

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

That is not how the split pane design was intended to be used. If you want two different sessions, you need to open up two terminal windows....

S-

3. bowjest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Sidewinder.

Disappointing, though. That's what split panes are for under UNIX and Linux.

Appreciated nonetheless.

bowjest

4. bowjest thread starter macrumors newbie

How about this: is it possible to get Lynxlet to run in iTerm rather than the default system Terminal.app?

That should solve my problem. So far I've not been able to google a way out of this, but then I've only just started using Lynxlet.

5. dyn macrumors 68030

I'd use iTerm2, it simply is much better than iTerm and Terminal. I think about anything that works in those two will work in iTerm2 as well. It's mostly things like bash and xterm what the apps use anyway.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

@dyn

I was about to suggest iTerm2, but then I checked the Lynxlet website, and found out that it's essentially a Terminal plugin. I'm not sure if it can work with iTerm2, but one should try.

7. bowjest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, dyn and thundersteele.

I tried it.... and it sort of worked.

I launched iTerm2, then called lynx from within the lynxlet app and it launched and I got a navigated to a web page: once. After that, every time I've entered a web address it either start the whole "trying google.com first...." like it has a bad DNS entry or it just immediately reports "badly formed address".

Launching lynxlet as normal never presents this problem.

Has anyone got any advice on how to get around this?

thanks

8. dyn macrumors 68030

@thundersteele: good point. I'm hoping it will use whatever you've set as the default terminal client (iTern2 or Terminal) and not use something of its own.

Btw, why not simply use Lynx in iTerm2/Terminal/etc. ?

9. bowjest thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi dyn,

Using Lynxlet in the default terminal doesn't allow me to have independent split screens: if I split the screen, both mirror each other which is pointless.

I have tried running Lynxlet from iTerm2, but this also does not work because from the command line any .app applications is seen as a directory, so the only way to run the program is to call Lynx itself from within Lynxlet.

This produced the problem I described above: either it acts like it has a bad DNS table or "badly formed address" when I try to go to a web site.

This is why I'd like to find a way to have the default term app changed from Terminal.app to iTerm(2).app.

Thanks,

bowjest

10. bowjest thread starter macrumors newbie

Or how about this: using AppleScript or Automator, I call iTerm2 and then have iTerm2 call/load Lynxlet?

I'm not sure of the syntax, but I'm working on it now. If anyone can suggest how to script this, I'd appreciate it.

11. KnightWRX, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Just use GNU Screen. That's what it does.

CTRL-A S to split.

Here's what it looks like with the GIT version, vertical split patch (CTRL-A S horizontally splits, CTRL-A | vertically splits) :

shot_14-02-12_061945.jpg