Split Water on MBP. Screen is off!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YogaSx, May 22, 2016.

1. YogaSx macrumors newbie

Hello,

Split water on macbook pro. Machine gone off.

Tried to dry it fora few hours. Machine did not boot up. Opened back cover. Removed battery, hard drive, ram and fan and dried water.

I did not move to remove cdrom drive and motherboard and keyboard.

Tried to start up Macbook Pro. Before cleaning, MBP did not boot no matter what. But now MBP boots up but laptop screen is OFF. I attached the HDMI Thunderbolt cable to my external monitor.

Now I can see gray blank screen on my external monitor. I can drag the mouse to external monitor and move it.

Probably I am on login screen. But login screen is activated on my laptop screen. That is why I see blank gray wallpaper on my external monitor.

So, how can I make my second monitor to be active login screen so that I can put my login credentials?

Or should I go and remove and dry cdrom drive and mother board.

Actually I need to access HDD to back it up, rather than fixing the laptop screen. So I should not risk it losing by doing something wrong while touching motherboard or something.

I have also macbook air at hand. Can I put my MBP 2011 hard drive to latest Macbook Air. How can I make my Macbook Pro hard drive to be read by Macbook Air?

What do you recommend please?

2. Gesturthor macrumors member

Where did the water go? did it get in the keyboard or in the ports?

3. YogaSx, May 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016

YogaSx thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Gesturthor,

Thank you very much for your help.

Spilled from left top of the keyboard, I think from keyboard it got into macbook. I found some water on SuperDrive and Battery when I removed back-case. Especially most water run to the space between the screen and keyboard and from there fan space (I dont know what it is called, the place where fan air is blowed out) to inside MBP. Also there were some moist around ethernet and usb. So some might got into from there.

And according to what I read, left section (the section with usb and ethernet) is related to screen and mother board. And they say screen is gone.

But other parts seem OK. I just need to access my HDD to back it up.

Can I use HDD in Macbook Air?
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2016 ---
    Hello,

If I detach LCD cable from Logic Board, can I use the external monitor with thunderbolt HDMI cable as my main screen?

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No.

But you can likely put your MBP in target disk mode and copy your files off the HD that way.

Sounds like the water destroyed your MBP.

5. YogaSx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your help xraydoc.

I have an ancient 2009 MBP. Do you think I can put my 2011 HDD into that 2009 MBP and use it? Any conflict might be?

6. YogaSx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your help.

I detached LCD cable and now able to login by external monitor. I will backup my HDD now.

It would be great if you could answer my other questions too.

Cheers

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Probably. It would be easier to drop the drive in an external USB case, so you can use it anywhere you need to, without ripping the other machine open.

8. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

You can definitely put your 2011 HD into your 2009 MBP. There shouldn't be any issues. The first time you boot up with the HD in the new machine it will seem slow. Go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the HD and it should boot up faster next time.

9. YogaSx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your help.

Today noticied Wifi is broken. Hardware warning is present. Wifi adapter is gone, I suppose.

Some say to put MBP with SlicaGel in a place for a few days. Do you think if the moist is gone, the screen or wifi returns back or is it irreversible damage?

Cheers

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That method only really works if you turn it off immediately, put it in silica or rice or whatever leave in a warm place for 3-4 days minimum to make sure it's completely dry, before you boot it up again. Even then I would disassemble and clean thoroughly with 100% industrial meths to get the last of the moisture off before trying to boot it.

Repeatedly booting while it's still damp will almost certainly cause irreversible damage and corrosion.

11. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Next time finish your glass of water before using your premium laptop.

12. YogaSx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much Samuelsan2001 for your help.

I removed all parts except Motherboard and Keyboard. There were just small strips of water on battery and super drive.

Luckily I booted once and the system still on. Still backing up the hard drive.

Sometimes sporadic keystrokes happen autonomously without my interaction, such as mute key is activated, it repeats 5 or 10 times, then disappears. Probably there is still moist on logic board side.

Cheers

13. jerryk macrumors 68020

The keyboard is a multi layer affair. Water can get in there and hide. Fortunately it is pretty easy to clean. Check Youtube for videos.