Splitting a USB hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macvirgin2013, Jul 10, 2012.

1. macvirgin2013 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to run a Hard Drive to two devices?

I want to plug my USB Hard Drive into my Airport Extreme and also into my DVD player. Is there a cable you can buy to split it if at all possible? I guess there might be complications when both are trying to access it at the same time.

Thanks

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Can't be done. You'll need to buy separate USB drives.

3. macvirgin2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

can i run my Hard Drive through the Apple Extreme and connect the Extreme to the DVD player via Ethernet and network the HD content? I have an option on the DVD player to network with something called DLNA?

Im struggling here

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That would work. You'll need to use a DLNA client to share the media (PS3mediaserver might do the trick) from your computer.

5. macvirgin2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I need to download the program and then the DNLA server would recognise the hard drive via the wireless network?

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

It very much depends on the specifics of your equipment.

For example I have a drive USB'd to an Airport Extreme. Just a regular ol' drive. I use Yazsoft's Playback on my Mac, which allows me to serve the media on that Airport drive to my PS3 or other devices.

So your DVD player might be able to find it, but I doubt it without something to SERVE the media up; otherwise it's just an attached drive.