Splitting an ethernet cable to a Mac and PS3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samac92, Sep 12, 2011.

1. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I am going to university this month and in my room will be one ethernet socket to connect to the internet with.

Is it possible for me to connect both my Macbook Pro and PS3 to the same socket to both have internet?

I am aware I could plug my Mac in and share its connection via wifi, but I'd rather have them connected independently.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Either buy a HUB and so both will share the same IP addr, or a router which will provide new IP Addr's to both.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...or a switch, which is probably a better solution.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wouldn't a switch be more expensive and I assumed the OP is not going to use the MBP and PS3 at the same time so the performance hit in using a hub wouldn't be an issue

5. samac92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

7. Tolien macrumors member

Hubs are pretty much non-existent nowadays.

That switch should be fine, but the university's network people might require you to register both devices to connect them to the network. If that's the case you might be easier with a router.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Some universities also have restrictions on having routers or more than one device sharing one internet hookup at a time (to try to keep a handle on bandwidth usage I guess). In that case you would have to use the internet sharing option if you wanted to skirt around the restriction since the network would only see your Macbook.

9. samac92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll wait till I get there before deciding what I need.