Splitting an Internet Connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zapatista, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Zapatista macrumors newbie

Zapatista

Hey all,

I'm a college student and with the holidays approaching, it means me and my sister, who is also a college student, will be home at the same time. Unfortunately, our den only has one internet connection. The only other port is in the basement, where our father makes almost constant use of it. Naturally, the internet is an unlimited source of conflict during the winter months. This year, though, i hope to end that struggle. Is there an adapter or something i can buy that i can plug the ethernet cord into that will allow for 2 internet cables? One for my MacBook Pro and one for my sisters HP Pavilion (Running Windows Vista). There isn't an actual port in the Den, so our cable is threaded up from the basement (It's a long explanation). Anyway, if there is no such adaptor, would a wireless router solve the problem? Also, i am hoping to do this without sacrificing the speed of my connection. I play online games such as Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft so i like to have it.

Thank you in advance, everyone.

2. RKpro macrumors 6502

From my understanding, you have one wired ethernet connection in the room.

Yes. you can buy a wireless router, or even a simple wired switch + 2 more cables.

Or you can plug your wired connection into the MBP, and share your wired connection over Airport (wifi) to the other computer. There is a setting for this in System Preferences > Internet Sharing.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get a wireless router, really. Costs less than almost any Blizzard game.

That just has wrong written all over it. :eek: