Splitting Aperture library into "Current" & "Archived"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LERsince1991, Mar 28, 2011.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I just got a new 4tb external, 2x 2tb. One to offload lots of media and documents. and the other for backup of macbook and the other 2tb drive.

I'm going to keep the current projects on my mac and make a new library on the external drive to hold archived projects, documents and media.

How can I move a selected number of photos (about 8,000 RAW) to the external HD into a new library called "archived". And keep a "Current" library on my macbook for current projects.

I have moved all the archived projects into a folder in aperture.
    If I selected that folder and click export - folder as new library. Will this do the job without loosing anything? I take it i'll create the new library from the folder, then delete the entire folder from my current library on the macbook?

Theres also a couple of options when exporting the new library. Relocated referenced files and include previews, or something similar.
    What shall I check?

Thanks,
    Luke.

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

I think that will do it. I did the same thing with older pictures, too. You can then just switch libraries to use the one you want.

You can easily test it by exporting the folder as a new library and then switching libraries to look at it to make sure it looks right before you delete that folder off the internal drive.

3. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

im in the process of exporting the library now. I see it working.
    Except the implications of deleting the images from the current projects would delete all the images from facebook and flickr?! Right?

I need to think of a way to like, 'close' and disconnect the facebook albums. Or some way to maintain them through 2 libraries?

Anyone?

4. Keleko macrumors 68000

I gave up using Aperture to manage facebook and flickr images. It was way too slow, and I sometimes had Aperture delete a picture on Flickr after I did some more edits. I'd lose all the comments and favorites it had attached to it, which are part of the fun of posting there. I went back to manually uploading using the Flickr upload program.

5. Razeus macrumors 601

Exactly why I use Lightroom 3 for this and not the half azz'd implementation employed by Apple.