Splitting Applications Directory?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by klinic, Apr 1, 2012.

1. klinic macrumors member

I have a 115gb ssd and a 500gb HDD installed in my MacBook Pro.

Files obviously go on the HDD and apps + OSX on the SSD. However, I'm still running out of SSD space. A lot of my apps are not time critical and therefore would be fine running off of the HDD.

Is there anyway that I can had the Apps directory on my SSD but have any of the non-time critical apps installed on the HDD instead, and still show up in Launchpad/the Applications folder?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only thing that comes to mind is moving the apps that you want on the hard drive and create a symlink in the boot drive's application folder.

I'm not sure if launchpad will like that though. Most apps can be moved to another location, but expecting apple products to behave with that, may be asking a lot since they tend to assume that things are where they want them to be

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a good idea to move apps from the /Applications folder on the boot drive, as doing so can cause some apps to fail to operate or update properly. It's better to move user files and leave the system and app files on the boot drive.