Splitting DVI signal on Powermac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tderemigis, Jul 14, 2007.

1. tderemigis macrumors member

Can anyone link me to a cable or device that would help me split the DVI signal from my Powermac. I want to be able to run the video on my HDTV as well as on a monitor. I've tried looking into products, but its either adapters for under $15 or devices for around $300.... so thats why i need some excellent MR guidance. :)

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

3. tderemigis thread starter macrumors member

what about something like this...

what im trying to achieve with this is to be able to watch videos and control the computer from the television, but also at time be able to just use the monitor to do things such as use itunes.

thanks for the help thus far though..

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Remember, the cheap ones (just a glorified cable) only allow you to mirror images, ie, both screens show the exact same thing. The other splitters might be crippled by resolution as there are only so many pixels that the DVI from your computer can put out, but this depends on what resolution you are trying to run your screens at.

Since it is a PowerMac you should already have two video out ports which means you shouldn't even need a splitter. One is definatly DVI and the second is either DVI or VGA. VGA can run LCDs if that is your monitor, but it is not quite as good as a DVI signal.

If you really want/need two DVI out ports on your computer I would highly recommend looking into getting a graphics card with two DVI ports. You should be able to get one for your G4 for the same price as one of those external DVI splitter boxes. The advantage being that you can have higher resolution on each display, it will be internal so there is no bulky external box and it will probably play nicer with the OS.

5. tderemigis thread starter macrumors member

well mirror images is actually what im trying to accomplish. I wouldnt ever be using the tv and the monitor at the same time. just one or the other. and i would just go a vga route for the monitor but the vga port is a bit wonky and displays lines vertically across the screen.
    so would one of those cheapo adapters work for my use?

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

If just mirroring is what you want, then yes, one of those $20 splitters would work.