Splitting headache from using 27'' iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pontsu, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Pontsu macrumors newbie

I have been using the 27'' iMac for 2 weeks, and I have been getting a serious headache with nausea every time I used it for more than 20 minutes or so. I have notice that I had to extend my neck in order to read the upper portion of the display. The display is gorgeous, by the way.

I am 5'10'', and I can only raise the chair so high before my knee started touching the underside of the table with minor movements and that the chair edge started to compress the underside of my thighs. Since the height of the display is not adjustable, I see no solution to this problem. :(

I am in the process of exchanging for a 21'' iMac. Hopefully with the display being 3'' shorter, it would resolve the problem for me. Has anyone had similar experience?

2. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Try mounting it to the wall before getting rid of it, then you'll be able to get it lower. :)

3. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

As a general rule, extend your arm all the way out while keeping the back in a normal vertical sitting position. The screen should "almost" touch your finger tips. Being a shorter person with shorter arms, add 3" to the tips of your finger. That's where the computer screen should be positioned (in relation to one's eyes). Try this adjustment for a while….

4. dizmonk macrumors regular

I didn't get a headache but quickly realized it was just too damn big... I returned it and am waiting on a 2TB 21.5" inch.

5. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Did you try adjusting the brightness of the screen ????
    Sometimes the factory setting is too bright for people that are used to LCD diplays

6. Kenjhee macrumors regular

Initially, and it was looking to be a major issue as I already battle migraine headaches. But, eventually it stopped being a problem- about 6 weeks for me, quite a bit longer than most people.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Guys guys... display brightness is the biggest cause of headaches from staring at a computer. Turn it way down, and try to keep reflections off the display (good luck with the imacs).

I forgot to mention, turn the display as low as it will go, and close the windows to try to keep reflections down. If the headaches improve, it was most likely a display brightness issue. I don't know how the 27" displays hold out when turned down. Higher quality displays will hold their contrast at virtually any brightness level. Apple displays have been really hit and miss in that regard.

8. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

The 27" iMac screen is very bright and if you have it set anywhere near maximum brightness you will likely suffer eye strain and headaches. From memory mine is set at about 3 or 4 bars and, for me, this seems to be a sweet spot.

9. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I experienced a similar issue when I first got my 27' imac, I think it is a combination of the super-high resolution plus the brightness, which puts a strain on your eyes. I would get giddy spells half an hour into using my imac.

I am 6ft tall and have no problems reading from the screen though, though I do face the same "problem" in that my chair is raised to the highest level, which in turn limits my mobility a little.

It went away about 2-3 weeks later, when my eyes gradually adjusted. Now, I am looking at my screen just like any other screen. If you wish to do a comparison, my screen is set at 5 bars of brightness. :)

10. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I had a similar issue with my 24" iMac, but I use "no-line" bifocals and trying to read the top of the screen meant tipping my neck back all the time because the display sits so high. No headaches, but it did strain my neck.

I ended up getting the VESA adapter and an Ergotron desk arm so I can put the bottom of the iMac 1" off the desktop now (technically I could lower it onto the desktop, but it needs airflow)...it's much easier on the neck.

11. Sparty1 macrumors newbie

Reading about this is very interesting. I've never had any issues with mine. Good luck to those who do.

12. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Is it just your neck that's straining? Or do you think your eyes are straining a lot as well?

I'd say adjust the height, adjust the brightness, and try calibrating the display. Maybe your eyes are straining at text size because of the high resolution?

Another note--
    Have you had any problems with your MBA's? Apparently some people have problems with LED backlighting as evidenced here which causes bad headaches. Just throwing it out there.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1677617?start=0&tstart=0

Good luck!

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Why is it that Apple are allowed to get away without offering height adjustment on their iMac's and Apple lovers never say anything?

Normal monitors, the very very cheap ones are generally the only ones that don't offer a height adjustment as they are trying to cut the price to the bone to save every single dollar. Once you buy anything a little better you then get height adjustment as you would expect.

People do moan about monitors, but generally they accept if they are buying the very very cheapest screen they can find, that they have to make this compromise.

If a higher end screen had no height adjustment then it would rightly be pointed out as very very bad in all reviews.

So how come Apple get away with it?

14. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Because its Apple, btw i don't se any other all in ones which are height adjustable. :)

15. Pontsu thread starter macrumors newbie

I have never had any problem with my 13'' and 11'' MBA.
    By the way, I have already returned the 27'' iMac and the 21'' is on its way. I have never tried adjusting the brightness. I wish I had. But even so the height would probably continue to be an issue. I wanted it to work badly because it just looked gorgeous.

----------

It didn't. I just returned the 27'' and will return the 21'' if it is also problematic.

16. cmm macrumors 6502a

I get migraines so I am very knowledgable about this.

In order:

1. See a proper M.D. eye doctor (opthamologist), not a fake eye doctor (optometrist), for a proper eye exam. Don't skimp on your lenses (Essilor is best).
    2. Adjust monitor height to your comfort.
    3. Use a proper office light but keep it to the right of your monitor.
    4. Adjust screen brightness.

If this fails, you probably need to do two things, 1) see a neurologist (you should probably do this anyway) and 2) get a matte screen.

17. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I second the suggestion of going to to an opthamologist. I had computer related eye issues and I changed from an optometrist to an opthamologist and I now have a pair of 'puter glasses. :mad: If you are making the change from a laptop, which you typically have closer to your eyes, to an iMac it very well may be a vision issue.

18. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

19. Pontsu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the response.

You might find it interesting that I have an ophthalmologist friend having exactly the same problem. Therefore I know it's not something related to eye pathology. Both of our conclusions were, as someone had mentioned already, the problems were eye strain from excessive screen brightness and resolution, and the height of the screen.

By the way, isn't it kinda harsh to call optometrist "fake eye doctor"? I hope we don't have any optometrist friend here.

20. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I have a 27" display hooked up to my MBP and have no complaints. It's pretty darn bright. I do have it about an arm length away from me.

21. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I used to get slight headaches... still do sometimes... I think it's from sitting too close though. It's hard to avoid with the length of my desk, but what I did was pull my desk from the wall a few inches and slide the iMac back against the wall. That seemed to help a little. I think it just takes time to get used to =\

22. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

There are platforms available to raise the height of the screen and of course, as mentioned you can mount the iMac on the wall.