Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I've been debating upgrading my storage to 768GB since I am out of room for movies and TV shows, but this isn't a pressing need at the moment, so I am going to wait before the next refresh to see if I will get an iMac as a base station for all of my iTunes ect. That being said, is there anyway to split your "iTunes Media" folder so my 17 GB of music are always on the internal SSD and the 400GB of movies and TV Shows are on my external HD?

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
"Create an alias," I am going to need a little more explanation here, but I think I know where you are headed.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
"Create an alias," I am going to need a little more explanation here, but I think I know where you are headed.

Once you transfer your movies and TV shows to the external HDD, right click on the folders, select Make Alias, and then move those shortcut folders to the iTunes Media folder on your internal HDD. Remove the "alias" from the end of the folder names.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I think I got this to work. I had to uncheck "copy files to iTunes Folder" and it seems to be getting everything into the movies folder for now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.