Splitting RF into video and audio

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by elpenguino, Oct 13, 2008.

  1. elpenguino macrumors member

    Jul 31, 2008
    I have some bunny/ rabbit ears with my tv- i'm too cheap to upgrade to cable- and want to use my surround system with the tv. How do I split the signal from the ears into audio and visual so I can have the audio run through the surround system and the visual through the tv? The rabbit ears just use an RF cable to connect to the tv.
  2. 7on macrumors 601


    Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    connect the RF to a VCR and use the audio L&R out for your sound and hook your TV up via the coax
  3. -DH macrumors 65816

    Nov 28, 2006
    Nashville Tennessee
    If you don't have a VCR, DVR, DVD recorder or other device with a TV tuner built-in (to demodulate the RF signal), you can use a demodulator like this one: http://www.markertek.com/SearchProd...prod&skuonly=0&search=demodulator&pagesize=20

    Keep in mind that after February 17, 2009 when NTSC broadcasting in the U.S. ceases, the above demodulator or any other NTSC tuner receiving over-the-air signals will no longer work unless you insert an ATSC converter box ahead of the NTSC tuner.

    Also keep in mind that when using an external tuner or demodulator, the TV will need to be set to channel 3 (or 4) and any channel changing will need to be done on the external tuner - NOT on the TV.


Share This Page