Splitting system and user data between SSD and HDD, yes or no?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarah.kho, Dec 24, 2010.

1. sarah.kho macrumors member

Hi,

I wondering which one of the following configuration will be faster:

- 128 GB SSD for OS and Apps + 5400 rpm hdd for games and user data like source codes, etc.
    - 128 GB SSD for all of them?

Thanks.

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

SSD will be dramatically faster for everything but since you do games, 120/8 may be too small.

3. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Option 2 - everything on the ssd.

Which SSD are you buying?

4. sarah.kho thread starter macrumors member

I will get one of the following models, they are available in Sweden and I am capable of covering the price.

Intel X25-M Mainstream Solid State Drive 120 GB - SATA-300

Corsair Nova Series solid state drive - 128 GB - SATA-300

Kingston SSDNow V + Series - Solid state drive - 128 GB - SATA-300

I hope it does not face the pesky sleep problem. I use the sleep function alot as It is required based on my job.

Thanks for all comments.

5. ViviUO macrumors 6502

I recommend a Mushkin Callisto Deluxe SSD. They are excellent Sandforce 1200 based drives, and some of the cheapest in their class.

I have the 60GB version now, but will soon be upgrading it to the 120GB model and pairing it with a OptiBay'd Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid.

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The 120gb OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD with a Sandforce controller is only $240 and OWC is one of the best for speed, degradation, and support.

7. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

In your list i would go with the Intel X25 due to thorough testing and reliability of that drive.

IMO I think you should consider the OCZ vertex 2 as it offers better performance which does not degrade over time like the intel SSD.

The problem with Sandforce based drives is their inability to HIBERNATE (where data is saved to the hard drive) rather than SLEEP (where data is saved to RAM).

I believe the sleep function is operational on all sandforce based rives.

For peace of mind and if you are willing to accept slower performance (which is noticeable) then stick with the X25

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This is somewhat incorrect. The OCZ Vertex 2 indeed offers faster performance, but it does degrade over time. All SSD's degrade over time. The odds of you keeping the hard drive this long (due to changing technology) is very, very low. SandForce is a great controller but the controller in the X-25 is house made and tested by Intel and is still excellent. People also seem to have a lot more problems with the Vertex 2 than the X-25, but determining if these problems are more user related or design related is a little tricky. I know people with both and they are both great.

Intel is about to release an updated SSD which will surely be faster as its current model is one of the slowest.

The OP cannot get the OWC despite it probably being the best drive for Macs due to location and probably importation restrictions and costs.