Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Hello. So what are people using to simultaneously record both a direct guitar signal plus an amp mic'ed?

I have a Duet, and I could probably do it w/ that alone although there would be latency issues. I thought about a simple A-B-Y splitter. They come fairly cheap but I am sceptical about noise & the signal.

Started looking into Radial DI boxes, does anyone have a recommendation?

Instead of dropping $200+ on a Radial unit (active) they also have passive ones for $99 or so. ART has a unit for $59 or so. Is a DI the best solution or is there something else?

I'm not interested in "re-amping" the signal after the fact so the 'high impedance box' isn't necessary. The Duet's 1/4" input is high impedance anyways if that makes a difference.

Here's a DI by Radial that was recommended for this type of recording:
http://www.radialeng.com/di-j48.htm

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Everyone at Radial who I talk to is recommending the active one but there is also this passive one that I came across and was recommended by one guy at a local music store (although he seemed unsure and also said go active).

This is the passive unit: http://www.radialeng.com/re-proav1.htm

My Duet has active preamps I believe....so ya I was a tad confused as to why I would need an active DI for an electric guitar (w/ passive pickups). I'm new to shopping for a DI box could anyone explain the situations where you'd need active vs passive in a DI box? Someone told me the active one will give you a stronger signal but is this always the case?

The only way I could justify the more expensive active one is if it provides a better/quieter signal. Perhaps the J series is better electronics? ...or is it just sales rhetoric to get you to spend more dough?

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I don't see why you'd need an active DI going into a Duet's preamp, but I could be wrong. Have a look on Gearslutz, there's a lot of good info there.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
You don't need it you are correct. I'd need to do a comparison to really find out what the difference is. From what I've been able to find out it seems the active DI is best for instruments w/ active pickups like some basses & acoustic guitars. The guys from Radial say their units allow for a wider dynamic range if I understood that right....whereas some cheaper passive units clip off some portions of a hot signal. The J48 is both passive & active (via phantom power). I'm still trying to sort all this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.