splitting up large file into several parts?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by manchot, Mar 11, 2008.

1. manchot macrumors newbie

I have a 3 gig file that i want to send to someone by burning it on a few cds (no dvd burner T.T).

what is the best way to compress the 3 gig file and burn it over a few cds so my recipient can take the files off the cd's and recombine them?

i've seen rar files like this, and i guess that would be good but i don't know how i would do it.

ty for the help!

2. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

what type of files are you trying to compress??

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Split & Concat works well for me, although the other person would also need a Mac to use it.

4. UnitedRed macrumors member

I use SimplyRar but it only splits files into 50MB or smaller

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Does it have to be manually split? Why not just set your burner to span the data over multiple cds?

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Um, what exactly are you referring to? At the very least it would have to be done be a specific feature in some particular burning software, and in my experience the span-disc features of burning software can only work if you're trying to span a folder that contains many smaller files that together won't fit on a single disc, not a single large file that can't fit on a single disk.

8. nachotech macrumors newbie

Simple solution doesn't require any new software

Leopard has the tools built in to split and recombine large files. If you already know how to use the Terminal application, the process is very simple, using the tools 'split' and 'cat'. I wrote a full description of this on my blog here: http://blog.nachotech.com/?p=44

Cheers,
    Iggy