Spoke to ATT representative about upgrading and date plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crunchymilk55, Jun 9, 2010.

1. crunchymilk55 macrumors member

She originally said only the 15/25 dollar 200mb/2gb options were available if I were to upgrade to the new Iphone. I currently have a 3GS ready to upgrade. So I asked her if it was possible to grandfather the 30 Unlimited plan, and she responded it was possible, but I would have to choose one of the limited data plans when I ordered the phone online, and then before I activated, I would have to call ATT and have them override the data plan selection. Anyone else have an issue like this? Even though I don't use 2gb of data, I would rather pay 30 for unlimited and peace of mind than 25 for limited. Anyone else hear anything different? ATT not telling their employees anything?

2. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Yikes, if this is true, a lot of people who want to grandfather their unlimited could mess it up if they activate it at home. Ugh. Now i'm thinking i should just order it at ATT, and pick it up there and let them set me up so i don't lose the unlimited. It's so frustrating to hear different answers from different reps.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I am literally walking into an AT&T store to pre-order them and then walking back later to pick them up.

I am not letting the internet or an Apple store or a phone call get between me and AT&T...I will make certain they get everything right as I'm standing right there.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't like the sounds of this. I will definitely be upgrading in person in that case.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like its going to be a pain and complicated to get things right.
    Many people might be upset when AT&T reps screw it up and dont carry their old data plan over.

6. iSkier macrumors regular

How do you know how much data you are using? I have an iPhone 3G and I'm getting the iPhone 4 but I'm not sure if I should continue to do the unlimited plan or the 2GB one. Please help.

7. Built macrumors 68020

This is very interesting.

If what she told you is true, then maybe it is best for me to get home delivery on the 24th, then walk in later in the day to the AT&T store to have them activate it in person.

8. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Look at your online bill. There is a section for data usage and it will show you the last 6 months also. If you have trouble still, do a search...there is a thread somewhere on checking.

9. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

I really wouldn't listen to the ATT rep, as they alll give different information. Just wait till the 15th and see what happens.

10. crunchymilk55 thread starter macrumors member

This is looking like the best option for me at this time as well. With home delivery, you will get it day 1 (everyone did last year right?) and not have to wait in line at all. Then again you'll have to deal with an ATT store on day 1 as well. They might close by the time the phone gets to you.

11. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

This.

12. crunchymilk55 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah to be honest she sounded like she didn't know what she was talking about. She mentioned that noone had asked her this question before? What was it her first day there? The only reason I am giving it some substance is that she talked with her manager for 5 minutes, then got back to me.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

This doesn't make any sense.

You will have to be honored regardless if you do something in person.
    That's just silly. If they screw it up like some of you suggest, you could always have it fixed if you call in.

Att are a mess but they are not THAT disorganized.

14. orangerock macrumors regular

If you go through the process of buying a phone on apple's website, it asks if you are a new or existing customer. Rest assured, apple has all of ATT's current customer's information. I have no doubt you will be able to keep your current data plan.

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm not buying this especially if you restore your iPhone 4 from a previous backup then nothing would change. I don't recall having to change any plans or anything anymore while activating your iPhone. Anytime I've switched from BB to iPhone I've had to activate the iPhone via iTunes and then call AT&T to make any plan changes.

16. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

When I called up about eligibility, the rep seemed lost. I told her the new/early upgrade information and she thanked me lolllll.

17. crunchymilk55 thread starter macrumors member

To those saying ATT has to let us continue the unlimited data plan, why are you saying that? We are signing up for NEW contracts. It's a privilege that ATT is letting us do this, they don't HAVE to do anything except honor our original contract. We are going around this and getting a new contract.

18. AK10R macrumors regular

Spoke to ATT representative about upgrading and date plan

Where are you taking her? :D

19. crunchymilk55 thread starter macrumors member

:D

was waiting for that

20. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

They are saying that because AT&T said that ALL existing users can keep unlimited data, whether they get the new phone and contract or not. It's been very publicly announced on at least 2 occasions that I know of.

21. crunchymilk55 thread starter macrumors member

The way I interpret that is existing users can keep their data plan as long as their original contract exists. i haven't seen anything saying a NEW contract can be allowed to keep unlimited. Of course I could be wrong.

22. burnside macrumors 6502

Honestly, I wouldn't worry or listen to ATT reps at this time. The rep at the store said that only phones within the same family would be grandfathered in (thus if you go from a BB to an iPhone you would need to buy the new data rate plan). I told him "haven't you looked at the official statement on the AT&T website? He said people are taking it the wrong way and from what he's been told, many will not be grandfathered in...

The point is these guys are listening to their manager who is only going by system codes and what they're used to. I even called ATT and the lady didn't have a clue on how the data plans worked. Simply, there are some really good ATT reps and a bunch who are either not informed, misinformed, or informed by customers of all things.

23. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That's why they stated that the old data plans would grandfathered in with the new contracts. They go hand in hand at the end of the day. Any changes and AT&T will have alot of angry customers on their hands.

24. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Yeh, best thing to do. We're all getting so anxious over this stuff! Next obsessive threads will be the pre-order delivery dates.

25. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

I talked to Att yesterday. My original upgrade date was 7/18/2010, and after inquiring and reminding them I was an original iPhone customer, and upgraded to 3G and 3GS, they said me and my wifes plan would be eligible for full subsidized upgrades for pre-order on June 15th. When I inquired about the data plan changing over to new 2 year contract, they told me my unlimited plan would roll over no problems, even if I order online, in Att or Apple. Call Att, and if something don't sound right, ask for someone else. Then go to Att store and ask them, make THEM get their story straight.