Spongebob Hates My Cat

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacHipster, Nov 17, 2007.

1. MacHipster macrumors 6502

My girlfriend had a birthday sometime back, and I threw her a party with a Spongebob theme, because she likes the show (we're in our twenties). One of the decorations was a helium-filled mylar Spongebob balloon. Well, our cat was nervous by it from the start. When he would see it, he would freeze and stare at it until he felt comfortable.

A few months passed and the balloon was still floating, by this time a few inches off the ground. Last night, I got up to go to the kitchen and I see our cat run out of the bedroom and back up against the wall. A few seconds later I see the Spongbob balloon slowly float out of the bedroom, turn, and then slowly float towards our cat. Our cat shrunk in horror as the balloon ever so slowly floated towards him. After calling my girlfriend over and us laughing, I "saved" our cat and moved Spongebob away.

The funny thing is that our cat has attempted attacks on animals much bigger than himself (friends' dogs), but he has a fear of inanimate objects such as the balloon and a stuffed animal.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

You post this good story here - without any pictures?

Most uncivilized.

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Poor kitty, I can imagine the horror. Kill spongebob!

4. MacHipster thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I know, but I'm not much of a photo-taker. :D

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

That's too funny. And the whole thing about your girl liking Spongebob, I've got a friend who LOVES Hello Kitty....She even buys the Band-Aids..

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Cats have funny quirks like that. I've had a couple of cats that were very nervous around plastic bags. They also noticed any change of furniture, or new furniture, in the house and took awhile to get used to it. Both of these cats 'talked' a lot, too, and had great personalities. Something about being more aware of their surroundings. It's funny when they jump in fear, though. :p

7. MacHipster thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, our cat doesn't talk too much, but he goes at it in the mornings. When ever we leave through the front door, he's fine. But if we leave out of the side door, he'll cry until we come back.

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Great story. I had a dog that would attack plastic bags.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

OP, poor cat. Probably really felt like he (Spongebob) was out to get 'im. :(

Hehe, but I bet it was amusing to see in action.

Ugh. One of my cats won't stop licking any plastic bag. Sure, it's funny at first. But not so funny at 3AM when all you can hear is stupid plastic crinkling. Sigh.

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

It's good to know I'm not alone in the world. :)

I had a cat that used to attack paper towel rolls. And I too, thought it was funny at first. Until I had to clean up shredded paper towel rolls every other morning. Crazy thing is - cat only attacked paper towels, all other paper products - even TP were safe. And it didn't matter what brand of paper towels, either.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I had a cat who would eat plastic bags. Couldn't leave any plastic bags exposed anywhere.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*dogeyes* You steal my cat at times?! My black cat digs the plastic, but the gray one digs the paper towels. Same thing-- no interest in TP, but loves paper towels.

And yes, I'm quite aware of the mess-making potential of paper towel. She got to a brand new roll before I got home once. I'd say about 2/3 of it was rendered useless. Sigh.

:eek: I pulled plastic away from my black one once. Thought I was safe. But somehow he wound up swallowing a small piece of plastic (like shrinkwrap) and of course, that came up. Ugh. :eek:

13. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Twenty year olds watch Spongebob? By which you mean the yellow guy? The kids cartoon? :confused:

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Seriously - my ex-girlfriend watched that show, and I thought it was stupid and childish. Then she got me into watching it (girlfriends have that ability) - and when watched with a 20-something mindset - it can be a REALLY suggestive show. Especially to an immature, and sexually charged mind of a 20-something.

And there is also a lot of "adult targeted" clean humor that I know wasn't put in the show for kiddies.

FTR: I'll never publicly admit ever watching that show.

15. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

My life x100.

I only get about 3-4 hours of sleep at a time because my cats are experts at hunting down any loose plastic in the apartment.

Our cats are related.

I will find her in the kitchen eating paper towels all the time. Whenever I walk in on her doing it she'll look up at me, all nervous, knowing that she just got busted.

16. MacHipster thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. The visuals are for the kids, but the dialogue is for adults. Plus, we're animators, so much of the humor is geared towards us.