Spontaneous iPod Hard Drive Spinning? Normal?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Spongey817, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Spongey817 macrumors regular

This isn't really a major concern, just a question as to whether the behavior of my (5g) iPod is normal or not...

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed some weird hard drive behavior in my iPod. While idle, the hard drive spins at random times. For example, last week, I hadn't used my ipod for about two days. While sitting in a silent room, there was an audible hard drive spin coming from the iPod; it sounded as if someone had powered on the iPod, then suddenly shut it off. As stated, it hadn't been in use, and the "hold" switch was on.

This has happened about four to five times over the past month. I've just about convinced myself that this is normal for iPods...but then again, I figured the experts here at MacRumors could give me some tips...

Thanks guys

2. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Mine does it too. I'm pretty sure it's normal.

As for what it's doing..... who knows lol

Whatever it's doing, it's doing something!

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

It is normal for a hard drive based iPod to do that. All it is doing is telling itself to turn off. It does this to save power.

4. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

As the people above me said, yes, it's normal. It's when it starts making loud clicks and other odd noises that you should be worried.