Spontaneous Reboot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by keerf, Jul 13, 2015.

1. keerf macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

We run a mac pro server here at our office. The machine itself is around a month old, and has been running great, minus one little issue that happened this weekend. The computer rebooted itself over the weekend.

Now when I logged in this morning when I got to the office (using screen share), there wasn't a message about the computer restarted because of a problem. Going through all the logs I could think of, I saw no real errors, at least no kernel panics that I can see.

The only real issues I saw were this in the system log:

Jul 11 18:18:35 localhost kernel[0]: Rebooted due to a SYS_RESET# event (Same as GEN_PMCON_2 bit 4)

There are some smb errors:

7/12/15 2:46:21.000 PM kernel[0]: smb_smb_ssnsetup: RT-AC87R-4AD0 doesn't support extended security, this server will be deprecated in the future!

The weird thing is that RT-AC87R is one of our wireless routers.

The only thing I can think of is this:

We run Carbon cloner for our SAN which is connected to our mac. I had two back to back backups running over the weekend, both were going to separate NAS systems, one connected via SMB, and one connected via AFP. I noticed one backup finished, while the other didn't.

Would the SMB connection caused it to reboot? Specifically if something happened perhaps with Carbon Cloner?

Thanks all for any insight.

2. the bug macrumors member

the bug

Through my research (back when I was having a spontaneous reboot problem), I discovered that the most common hardware cause seems to be due to either bad RAM, or motherboard problems.

That is assuming it's not a software problem, of course.

You could try running memtest ( http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15837/rember ), and see if it happens.
    In my case it turned out to be the motherboard.

Hopefully this helps, and good luck.

- Jay