Spontaneously Disappearing Memory

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by thezoostation, May 7, 2012.

1. thezoostation macrumors newbie

Last night I was sitting at my computer when I got a message saying that my hard drive was almost full. I normally keep about 10% of it empty, but sure enough it was down to less than a gig. At a loss, I started looking for processes or downloads but could find nothing. I deleted what temporary stuff I could to free up some room and eventually got up to about 12 gigs free, but this morning it's down to 7. I have no idea how I lost over 20 gigs of room when I wasn't downloading or making anything. I searched through the space the file folders were taking up and nothing immediately jumps out as being 20 gigs larger than it should be. Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title, as "memory" refers to RAM, but your issue relates to disk space, not memory. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: