Spoofing/changing MAC address...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NightLord, Apr 11, 2009.

1. NightLord macrumors regular

I'm getting a new iMac delivered on Tuesday, but I'm in student accommodation, and the internet (which costs £90 a pop!) is set to a certain mac address, namely the one for my old macbook.

I know you can change a mac address (I think, based on some searching that it's with the
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    command), but does that change it change it permanently or just make it look different? Say, for example, if I had to reformat, or say, boot into windows with boot camp, would I need to change it again or would it be set permanently?

Thanks a lot :)

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

That's the correct command.

It isn't permanent, it will revert to the default hardware MAC address upon shutdown. You'll need to re-enter it each time you reboot into either OS X or Windows. Not sure what the Windows command is, but you can probably download a utility to change the MAC address in Windows.

3. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

In Windows, you can right click the network card in the Device Manager and choose properties. There should be an advanced tab, and on that tab, you might find an item for LAA or Locally Administered Address. That is where you'd manually change the MAC address.

Does your school really charge 90 pounds sterling just to change the mac address? You can't just call and tell them you got a new laptop and need to change the computer it was set up on? That seems crazy to me.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Just ask your school to update your account for your new MAC address. That will be a lot less trouble than having to reenter your old address every time to reboot your new computer.

5. gomvi17 macrumors newbie

Help

Hi, im trying to do the same thing every time i enter the command: sudo ifconfig en0 11addr 00:00:00:00:00:00, it responds with: ifconfig: malformed link-level address: Unknown error: 0

can anyone help me

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It's "lladdr", not "11addr".

Try a legitimate-looking MAC address instead of all zeros.