Sporadic Battery Swelling - Safe to use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puercaeli, Aug 5, 2011.

1. puercaeli macrumors regular

Hello all,

I had my MBP mid 2010 for about a year and 3months now. Every now and then I had issue where I could not depress my touch pad as far as I usually could. I initially thought this was just a mechanical failure. But after few months I noticed this issue goes away and comes back and then I realised the real cause was the battery bulging.

Now as I said in the title, this issue is sporadic or frequent but not always there. Somedays it does not bulge at all so no issue with touchpad somedays it bulges so much touchpad is almost unusable.

So should I take my MBP to Apple Store and get checked still or just keep using it?

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Get it checked. The battery is the most dangerous part of your computer; it can actually explode.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Take it in to an Apple Store, hopefully they will give you a replacement battery, bulging batteries could be dangerous.

4. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

Replace the battery.

Search "LiPo fire" on YouTube to see what can happen.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You should definitely take it in; nothing is supposed to move on the inside of the machine and you can have some serious problems if you just leave it unchecked. If you're still under warranty (and even if you aren't, I'd take it in) they should fix it for free.

You should definitely try and go when there aren't many people in the store though; every time I've gone there have been a TON of people in there and it takes a good minute to get pretty much anything sorted out.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

And he'll go out and buy another one from eBay...
    Do yourself a favor, get the laptop checked out

7. puercaeli thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you everyone

I have made the reservation... hope they don't take too long with simple battery fix.

Also hope that battery is in somewhat bulled state so I don't have to wait until it happens...

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

When you go in there, make sure you push the fact that you're concerned that the battery might damage your system and you can't afford to be without a machine due to your work/income.

I don't know if it's virtually true for you, but if anything happened and I wasn't under care, I'd definitely stress my possible safety (if that applied) and the fact that I'm a college student who doesn't have money nor the time to drive all the way over there.

But most of all, be polite, honest, and don't get frustrated. Most of the people there like what they're doing but I know they get a TON of aggravating customers. In situations like this, people are more likely to help if they can get a breath of fresh air, know what I mean?

9. puercaeli thread starter macrumors regular

Yup thanks for the advice!:)

10. VMMan macrumors 6502a

It might mean that oxygen gas is not being properly vented, assuming the lithium ion polymer used is of the typical variant that produces oxygen.

For my flashlights, I actually use only lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) rechargeable lithium ion batteries because they don't release much oxygen, unlike other lithium ion batteries. (I want to avoid exploding flashlights.)

11. puercaeli thread starter macrumors regular

just got back from Apple store Genius bar...

Apparently one of the screw holding the touchpad was lose or something. I am slightly dubious about this but I think I will see how it goes for few weeks and if it comes back... I guess it has to be a battery(or screw coming lose again)

12. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Entirely possible. Hope he's right.