Resolved sporadic E key behavior on 2016 TB MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fzang, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Fzang, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Solution: Called Apple. Set up a return. Christmas will have to wait until the end of January.

I found out that it was a hardware issue that could be replicated in different degrees, depending on how the key was pressed. In-store 2016 MacBooks definitely do not have this issue. I've tested with every key on a few.

Writing E would either appear twice or once, but with a delay (meaning lots of typos).

Problem still persisted after resetting SMC, PRAM, and entering safe mode, so it's safe to say that it's a hardware issue.

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

You deleted the post? I'm having this same problem on my N key and would have appreciated reading about the issue.

3. Fzang thread starter macrumors 65816

Fzang

Sorry. Updated top post. Not much to say though.

4. fs454 macrumors 65816

Just wanted to see if your issue was the same as mine, looks like it is.

This is getting ridiculous at this point - this will be my third 2016 MBP if it requires replacement.

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

My up and down keys are sticky. First model had blown speakers from installing Windows, now sticky keys.

Two weeks in between when I need to send this model in and when they will send me a replacement model. Pretty ridiculous.

6. fs454 macrumors 65816

This is exactly the replacement situation I'm in. I've got the CTO 2.9/1TB/Pro 460 and managed to get it replaced instore because of the Windows speaker issue. Second issue is now the key problem where I have to hit the N firmly in the center or it doesn't register. Can't wait - and the Genius Bars within a 40 mile radius of me are booked out for the next 6 days.