Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Solution: Called Apple. Set up a return. Christmas will have to wait until the end of January.

I found out that it was a hardware issue that could be replicated in different degrees, depending on how the key was pressed. In-store 2016 MacBooks definitely do not have this issue. I've tested with every key on a few.

Writing E would either appear twice or once, but with a delay (meaning lots of typos).

Problem still persisted after resetting SMC, PRAM, and entering safe mode, so it's safe to say that it's a hardware issue.

Last edited:

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
You deleted the post? I'm having this same problem on my N key and would have appreciated reading about the issue.

Sorry. Updated top post. Not much to say though.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
My up and down keys are sticky. First model had blown speakers from installing Windows, now sticky keys.

Two weeks in between when I need to send this model in and when they will send me a replacement model. Pretty ridiculous.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
My up and down keys are sticky. First model had blown speakers from installing Windows, now sticky keys.

Two weeks in between when I need to send this model in and when they will send me a replacement model. Pretty ridiculous.

This is exactly the replacement situation I'm in. I've got the CTO 2.9/1TB/Pro 460 and managed to get it replaced instore because of the Windows speaker issue. Second issue is now the key problem where I have to hit the N firmly in the center or it doesn't register. Can't wait - and the Genius Bars within a 40 mile radius of me are booked out for the next 6 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.