Sporadic error "camera disconnected or off"

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by newenglandfilm, Feb 17, 2008.

1. newenglandfilm macrumors newbie

I have just purchased a mac pro and am going crazy trying to digitize footage (which is ironic since the simplicity of the Mac was the reason I wanted to convert from PC).

Here's the deal. Before I purchased, I went to the Apple store with my camera, a Panasonic PV-GS120 to test. Footage imported easily into iMovie on an iMac. Convinced, I ordered the MacPro online. It arrived and I couldn't get it to digitize footage with same camera (same tape, wire). When I connect the camera, I keep getting the error "camera disconnected or off" even though I've tried several different cables (including brand new Mac firewire cable) and every combination and order of turning off/on computer & camera. Camera is always in correct play mode. Randomly (it seems) it worked once and never again. Sometimes the blue screen pops up and says the error, other times blue screen doesn't even show up.

Please please help - I bought this Mac to make my life easier and so far I've wasted two days and am getting nowhere (oh yeah Apple support was NO help - said our camera wasn'ts supported then sent us a list which said it was).

Michele

2. chinajon macrumors newbie

chinajon

Fix #1

In iMovie: notice the toggle switch to the left of the play controls, just below the preview screen. On the right is a scissors icon – this enables editing controls, and on the left is a camera icon – this enables the controls used to import (or capture) footage from your camcorder. Toggle the switch to the import position (camera icon).

Fixed?