Sporadic Gmail push?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pendo, Jul 6, 2009.

1. pendo macrumors regular

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this....

I'm getting sporadic new mail sounds from the mail app. All I have configured is gmail. It doesn't appear to be consistent though. I did have push enabled, but it became annoying so I disabled it. (I primarily use the web app these days)

But I'm still getting new mail notification sounds when I open the maps app, and sometimes the messages app. Since I disabled push in settings, I don't get the new mail sound anymore unless I'm opening/using one of the afore mentioned apps.

phone info:
    16 gb 3G, jailbroken. Not much on the JB, other than replacing UI sounds. Carrier settings 5.0, tethering enabled.

2. ukdy macrumors member

3. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i've noticed this too - only 2 or 3 times since i upgraded to 3.0. i think it only has happened when i turn my phone on. definitely not consistent though.

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

As above, Gmail = no push. I wish it did though.

Also, I noticed from past jailbreaks myself that sometimes when replacing UI sounds, that can cause some issues with getting sounds when you should not. That may be your problem.

5. Cowboy8467 macrumors member

I have push set up because I have a mobileme account on my phone but I have also noticed the same thing. It's very infrequent but I will occasionally get the sound and the badge over the mail icon telling me I have new mail for my gmail account, not my mobileme account.

6. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

7. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So I take it that you just forward your gmail to your mobileme account correct?

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

indeed it does. sometimes.

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

How so?

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

11. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So wait.....

The technology is there for Google and Apple to use push with Gmail but they only use it sometimes?

12. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I don't use gmail so this is a question. Doesn't FETCH every 15 min mean that mail will check for new mail every 15 min and if new mail is found it will update the badge and also give an audio that new mail is available? If so, then that "part" would be similiar to the symtoms of Push.

13. philgilder macrumors 68000

no one really knows, as i said, it works sometimes, and randomly. read the couple of threads i added after you replied

nope, this is different. yes, fetch may look like push, but the threads i have posted suggest that the emails are received on the iphone seconds after on gmail web app on a computer

14. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

You might have seen this already elsewhere, but... the latest Nuevasync ($25/yr) allows you to "push" mail from gMail to your iphone. I've been using it for a few days and so far it is outstanding.

There's also a system called msgpush.com that uses an Exchange account to notify you when you have new mail - you then have to pull the mail by checking manually.

For me, the $25 for Nueva was worth it - I was getting a little tired of waiting for a pure gmail solution.

15. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Maybe gmail just happens to be "fecthing" the data at that exact moment. Maybe it was that 15 minute interval. It happened to me once for a confirmation email. I think it may just be coincidence though.

16. muledogus macrumors 6502

Maybe now that GMail is officially out of Beta we'll get push email.

Haha.

17. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

how's your battery using nuevasync?
    I paid but had to stop using it since I was getting lots of errors from gmail (too many connections I couldn't even use IMAP on my desktop computer).

and the battery seemed to go MUCH faster.

18. danny_w macrumors 601

Gmail has always supported push via IMAP IDLE, it's just that Apple doesn't support it on the iPhone (but they do now support it on the desktop app and it works fine). Every other smartphone on the planet (at least that I am aware of) supports IMAP IDLE except for Apple.