Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hismikeness

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
I have read the other threads about an unresponsive home button. Mine isn't that so much, as it is sporadic in its functionality. Here's what I mean: Sometimes a single click registers as a double, so the multi tray comes up when trying to leave an app. Sometimes a double registers as two individual clicks when trying to multi, so I end up leaving the app then going either to the home page or to spotlight search. Sometimes it works just as its supposed to.

I've tried a full restore, and it still happens from time to time, leading me to believe it is a mechanical issue. I've tried varying my pressing speed and pressure, and even where on the circle I put most of the pressure, all to no avail. I am still under my 1 year warranty. However, I don't live near an Apple Store (80 miles) and I'd be pretty upset if I couldn't get it to duplicate the issue while I was there, if I so choose to trek to the store for a replacement.

My questions are these: 1) anyone else experience this, and have you been able to fix it? 2) Will an Apple Store employee "take my word for it" if I can't get the button to fubar while I'm there?

Thanks

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Depends on what kind of a Genius you get. Some are cool and will just take your word for it as an honest person, others will send you home with the problem if you can't get it to replicate.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I have read the other threads about an unresponsive home button. Mine isn't that so much, as it is sporadic in its functionality. Here's what I mean: Sometimes a single click registers as a double, so the multi tray comes up when trying to leave an app. Sometimes a double registers as two individual clicks when trying to multi, so I end up leaving the app then going either to the home page or to spotlight search. Sometimes it works just as its supposed to.

I've tried a full restore, and it still happens from time to time, leading me to believe it is a mechanical issue. I've tried varying my pressing speed and pressure, and even where on the circle I put most of the pressure, all to no avail. I am still under my 1 year warranty. However, I don't live near an Apple Store (80 miles) and I'd be pretty upset if I couldn't get it to duplicate the issue while I was there, if I so choose to trek to the store for a replacement.

My questions are these: 1) anyone else experience this, and have you been able to fix it? 2) Will an Apple Store employee "take my word for it" if I can't get the button to fubar while I'm there?

Thanks

Took mine in yesterday, just told him about it, didn't show him, he played with it, saw it, and replaced it. Now I have an iphone with a slightly yellowish tinge which will have to be replaced. sighhh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.