Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaduer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Hi all

Can anyone here tell me why Spore CC requiers Leopard and not on Tiger?

I was looking forward to making some cool creatures, but noooo :(

Do I really have to buy Leopard?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I know nothing about the game, but, in general, applications that are Leopard-only make use of underlying system features new to 10.5 and not found in earlier versions of OS X.

If Leopard is what's needed, that's going to be what you need to be running.

If the developers have a support forum, it may be worth asking the question there - you might get a more comprehensive and specific answer :)

Jaduer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Thx for the fast answer :)

I guess you're right... I suppose I have to update to Leopard soon anyway.

About the support forum thing... I was trying to register at the forum, but, an I quote "The registration feature has been disabeled" :mad:

So I asked here, and got a good answer after 4 min. :D

reemrevnivek

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
It doesn't really require Leopard

I have 10.4.11 still. I have Creature Creator Trial Version up and running, no problems.

I researched it a little, and some others had already done it. You have to edit the trialinstaller.app\contents\resources\tginstall.plist file using notepad. (ctrl-click to "show package contents" of the .app file)

Change the number in:
<key>MinimumSystemVersion</key>
<string>10.5.3</string>

to 10.4.11 or something less if you want to try. Save the file.

Then, run the installer. Afterwards, celebrate! You've extracted the app!
But, alas, the application doesn't run-bounces twice and disappears! Yes, you need to go into the trial.app\content\info.plist file and edit the same line, and save it.

Then, enjoy creature creator trial edition! It's working fine for me.

reemrevnivek

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
Why this works ..... I think .... help?

As far as I can tell, is important that you have an Intel mac, not PowerPC (PPC), because the Leopard-only app is designed only for Intel processors and the Leopard OS.

The Leopard API, as Tersono said, is the interface through which a program interacts-Leopard adds a lot of new features and options, but the majority is the same as the previous

That seems to be the issue-they want to only have to design it for the Intel processor (and the Leopard API), which includes almost all Macs made in the last year and a half. I bought my MBP in the spring of '07, and it was a shiny new Intel version, running Tiger, but before they released Leopard.

But the sticking point is you can also run the 10.4.11 operating system under the older PPC processors, which means that EA would have to make a PPC version to say that it works in 10.4.11.

As far as I can tell, that's what's going on. I have an email out with the tech department of EA's support team asking what the real incompatibilities are with the Leopard API, but my hour or so of testing had no problems. I plan to go out and buy the actual game next week, and try to pull the same trick. I'll let you know how it works.

Am I right here? Anyone else able to offer some insights?

reemrevnivek

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
Other issues

Other people's guesses (from various forums):
-It's because Apple "fixed" OpenGl in 10.5. The game will run 20-30% slower in 10.4, but should theoretically run.
-It's because of driver issues with Tiger
-you need a computer higher than a G3, G4 or G5. I have Leopard, but my hardware still won't support the game. REALLY disappointing. I guess you need the macs with Intel chipsets.
-Looks like it may be a bug associated with certain ATI graphics cards including mine (ATI Radeon X1600) that EA has acknowledged and may have said we have to wait for an OSX Update.
-Mind it is a cider port of a game and not native and not optimized and that you are running a rather low performance GPU though it is on the minimum requirements but those minimum requirements are not for super high mode there for the lowest mode so because you match the box spec don't expect to be able to push the frames at settings the game was designed to push high end GPU's.
-I suspect this is a driver issue, considering that I can't even remember the last time a new driver came out for the X1900 / Intel combo. (ATI/AMD are pretty much dead in the water now, by the way, for those of you who might not follow that sort of thing). Pretty sure that mac is the only company keeping ATI alive. I am not surprised that Spore will run with no problems on systems using nVidia cards.
And the most interesting of all:
-So, I've been able to recreate the "spinning galaxy of death (w/ awesome music)" problem. And to my surprise I've stumbled over something scary, this is not a "Mac" game. (this would also explain the lack of PPC support) Spore secretly runs under WINE. Deep in the framework files I found and .exe file. Call me crazy but this game is NOT native, nor is it emulation. It's based of WINDOWS libraries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.