spore digital download from ea

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by otis123, Sep 7, 2008.

1. otis123 macrumors 6502a

does it work with macs? or is it PC only? i really dont trust gametree and i would like to play spore today, so i think my best option is going to gamestop and buying it.

2. Amt macrumors regular

3. icarusone macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm that this is true?

Can anyone confirm that this is true?

When you try to purchase it from the EA Store, there are a few points where it says "Platform: PC."

I'd order from GameTree, but I saw on the forums that people aren't getting their download links right away. GameTree's website says that you could wait 72 hours before a download link.

4. panzerjedi macrumors newbie

5. icarusone macrumors newbie

Er... I bought the Mac version from Direct2Drive, but it won't let me download it because I'm not running Windows.

Brilliant.

6. muldul macrumors 6502

Digital download from EA direct is PC only, there is a mac site though. Not sure what it is, i usually buy my discs.

7. icarusone macrumors newbie

8. icarusone macrumors newbie

Last comment, I swear...

If you can avoid Direct2Drive, I recommend doing so.

I'm on a 5mbit broadband connection with absolutely no problem getting speed from other sites... but I'm getting a pitiful 30kb/s to download from Direct2Drive. For a 3gb game, we're looking at 24 hours.

Ugh.

9. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

im doing D2D right now... it says 5 hours 20mins... :eek: :mad: :confused: :mad:
    my other games from d2d took 2-3 hours...
    soooo slow... and spore is only 3.4gigs...

my other games were like 6-8 gigs...
    less bandwidth for macs maybe...

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Greentree online is the transgaming site (the people who wrote CIDER which wraps SPORE) so you can try there.

11. icarusone macrumors newbie

Transgaming might have been a better choice, but now I've already been charged by Direct2Drive.

I got my CD key in an email, but I can't get the DMG file.. lol.

I found a torrent for the game, but it's choked. If anyone can post a download link that's FASTER, it would be much appreciated.

(To be clear, I'm not asking for pirated copies, I have my CD key, I just want the install file in less than 7 days.)

12. panzerjedi macrumors newbie

Don't use the DLM, read this support thread. =)
    http://support.direct2drive.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=3091&task=knowledge&questionID=2309
    I was getting 500kbps for my download. D2D may just be hit with a lot of traffic.

13. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I preordered the Windows version via Direct2Drive, started downloading at exactly 10:00 EST (the time of release) and the download is still going. Should be done by midnight...I hope.

14. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

15. LarLar125 macrumors newbie

Oops...

Well, stupidly, i believed that the link on the Spore website was legit in saying that it was mac compatible. i proceeded to EA games to buy it, bought it, and realized that i needed the download manager to download it. thankfully, i had bootcamp, so i used that to download it. now, a few hours later, it turns out that i was not downloading a .dmg, or even a .iso file. no, it is a windows installer file. so, for anyone else, DO NOT USE EA GAMES for mac.
    :confused::mad::confused::mad::(:(:(:(:(
    :apple:

16. BigPerry macrumors newbie

Annoyed - Spore

I bought the game thinking it was mac compatible via the direct download!

i have had to go down stairs using the family crappy windows to download it on to
    started at 6 and its still downloading and its now 11:50