spore digital download from ea

otis123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
does it work with macs? or is it PC only? i really dont trust gametree and i would like to play spore today, so i think my best option is going to gamestop and buying it.

icarusone

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Can anyone confirm that this is true?

Can anyone confirm that this is true?

When you try to purchase it from the EA Store, there are a few points where it says "Platform: PC."

I'd order from GameTree, but I saw on the forums that people aren't getting their download links right away. GameTree's website says that you could wait 72 hours before a download link.

icarusone

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Er... I bought the Mac version from Direct2Drive, but it won't let me download it because I'm not running Windows.

Brilliant.

icarusone

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Last comment, I swear...

If you can avoid Direct2Drive, I recommend doing so.

I'm on a 5mbit broadband connection with absolutely no problem getting speed from other sites... but I'm getting a pitiful 30kb/s to download from Direct2Drive. For a 3gb game, we're looking at 24 hours.

Ugh.

thumper

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
im doing D2D right now... it says 5 hours 20mins... :eek: :mad: :confused: :mad:
my other games from d2d took 2-3 hours...
soooo slow... and spore is only 3.4gigs...

my other games were like 6-8 gigs...
less bandwidth for macs maybe...

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Greentree online is the transgaming site (the people who wrote CIDER which wraps SPORE) so you can try there.

icarusone

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Transgaming might have been a better choice, but now I've already been charged by Direct2Drive.

I got my CD key in an email, but I can't get the DMG file.. lol.

I found a torrent for the game, but it's choked. If anyone can post a download link that's FASTER, it would be much appreciated.

(To be clear, I'm not asking for pirated copies, I have my CD key, I just want the install file in less than 7 days.)

panzerjedi

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Oops... My mistake.

It wasn't obvious how to download without their Windows-only download manager.

Anyone else that gets confused, try this:
http://support.direct2drive.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=3091&task=knowledge&questionID=947
Don't use the DLM, read this support thread. =)
http://support.direct2drive.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=3091&task=knowledge&questionID=2309
im doing D2D right now... it says 5 hours 20mins... :eek: :mad: :confused: :mad:
my other games from d2d took 2-3 hours...
soooo slow... and spore is only 3.4gigs...

my other games were like 6-8 gigs...
less bandwidth for macs maybe...
I was getting 500kbps for my download. D2D may just be hit with a lot of traffic.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I preordered the Windows version via Direct2Drive, started downloading at exactly 10:00 EST (the time of release) and the download is still going. Should be done by midnight...I hope.

LarLar125

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Oops...

Well, stupidly, i believed that the link on the Spore website was legit in saying that it was mac compatible. i proceeded to EA games to buy it, bought it, and realized that i needed the download manager to download it. thankfully, i had bootcamp, so i used that to download it. now, a few hours later, it turns out that i was not downloading a .dmg, or even a .iso file. no, it is a windows installer file. so, for anyone else, DO NOT USE EA GAMES for mac.
:confused::mad::confused::mad::(:(:(:(:(
:apple:

BigPerry

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Annoyed - Spore

I bought the game thinking it was mac compatible via the direct download!

i have had to go down stairs using the family crappy windows to download it on to
started at 6 and its still downloading and its now 11:50