Spore - DRM or spyware issues

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by riverdale, Jul 5, 2009.

1. riverdale macrumors newbie

Hello:

My son plays Spore Origins on his iPod touch. He wants to buy it, legitimately, and play it on his 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, iMac. While I don't have any performance related issues etc. I have seen some concern over the way EA deals with DRM for this game. I simply want to install it on his iMac, and perhaps my laptop (Uni 2.53 MBP w/ 4 GB RAM, and 500 GB @ 7200 rpm HD).

Can someone give me a basic run down of what I can expect from all these concerns out there. I am a little confused as to if there is a actual problem with this game or if it is more of an issue with some people's principles and they don't like EA's approach.

Thanks very much.

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

There's no spyware/malware etc. It's Sony's use of SecuRom.

Basically it means this (short version) The game can be installed on up to 3 macs or 3 installations (basically means 3 installations) after that it thinks your pirating it. A simple email to customer support with the proper information and in 24hrs or less they'll extend/unlock and you can installed a few more times without issue.

It authenticates itself over the internet. It's not that big a deal really, lots of people hate it but to be honest lots of games have it especially in the windows side of the house.

I have it and it's not that big a deal. Your kids pr0n is safe (just kidding) and your bank records and documents are not being spied on by EA.