SPORE on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Lukeksk, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Lukeksk macrumors member

I installed SPORE on the family iMac using my account. I played a quick round to see that it worked. Then my daughter logged into her account on the same iMac and tried playing the game but it asked her for the software registration code. I had to re-enter all the registration code again before the game would play. I'm puzzled by this behaviour.

Q. Does SPORE require that every account user on the same machine that wants to play the game need to register the software registration code (again) after it was successfully installed?

Q. If the above is true, is there a limit on the number of players on the same machine?

If the above questions are true, then SPORE is so unlike other games on the Mac.

Thanks,
    --luke

2. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

It's very possible that what you think is true. There is some arcane DRM on Spore involving a certain number of installs. Long story short, if you need to install again and can't call EA support and threaten them with a flame war unless they up the number of authorizations for you. Supposedly the patch also increased the number of activations. I've heard anecdotal evidence of most of this but I can't personally vouch for any of it, I've only installed it once.

3. Tourist macrumors member

Yes, Spore is unlike every regular game you have bought, you are infact only renting it from EA, and require their permission to install it more than the number of installs they have enforces ( was going to be 3, but it might have been raised), along with having to register it on each installation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_(game)#SecuROM_controversy

4. gavriels macrumors newbie

Yes; the registration info is stored in the user's preferences folder, so it needs to be re-entered per user.

No, there is no limit to the number of players who can run the game on your machine, nor on the number of times you can install on that machine. That machine counts as a single registered machine (out of the five you get by default), regardless of how many users have run the game.

5. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

EA should be boycotted. A terrible company that doesn't give one **** about their customers, and SPORE is a perfect example of such.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I heard this idea mentioned on another site, and while I don't condone it, I find it appropriate and funny:

"I'm just going to pirate Spore and send Will Wright a check for $50." :D

7. Passive101 macrumors regular

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

As far as I know, the answer is no. :eek:

Although, I wish that EA had made Spore for both Intel & PowerPC Macs - I would love to be able to play it on my 17" 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 when I am on the road. :)

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That can't be done. You see, Spore wasn't ever written for OS X. The Spore we have is the Windows version wrapped in the Cider shell. It can never be compatible with PowerPC.

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

***Shakes fist at EA*** :mad:

Where is the love for PowerPC based Macs? :eek: :rolleyes:

11. Trip.Tucker Guest

That's a crock. You need to get your facts straight.

12. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Um, it is a cider app, which is the Windows application wrapped up in Transgaming's Cider technology. There won't be a Power PC version.

Regardless patch 3 made Spore unplayable slow with no word on a fix. 1.02 plays much much better than 1.03.

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

The facts are straight. It's a Windows app wrapped in Cider, period, no debate, you can see for yourself if you look at the files. Sheesh. Never mind that it was mentioned in pretty much every "Spore on Mac" article.

--Eric