Spore on Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by tb2me, Sep 13, 2008.

1. tb2me macrumors member

Just wondering if anybody has tried to play Spore on a Macbook Air. I just got an MBA and my mom is getting me Spore for my birthday. Will it run well, or should I opt for the cash instead?

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Yup, just see how the Creature Creator works.

4. step21 macrumors member

I tried the creature creator, and well it was playable, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything but the creature creator, especially considering every stage apart from the creature creator is bound to be more demanding on the hardware. So, I would take the money and buy something else with it.

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Spore runs fine on the Macbook Air. I have it running at full res, no problems at all.

6. step21 macrumors member

@zedsdead interesting. are you using coolbook? Because admittedly I used the creature creator before I installed coolbook.

7. polar-blair macrumors regular

Seriously! When I max out the settings on my 20" iMac it gets quite jumpy, especially in the space stage. If you can run it on the MBA why cant it go on my mums macbook?

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Really??? I max out everything on my 24" iMac.... it's fine. And your mom's Macbook is probably an older, GMA 950, model. GMA 950 isn't supported with Spore on Mac.

9. Aaroncvx macrumors newbie

Creature Creator Screwup

Don't base the performance of the creature creator on how well the actual game will play. While the folks at EA were making the creature creator they took many shortcuts on the Mac version as opposed to the Windows version which runs smoothly on most computers.

10. Sigmund macrumors newbie

Does it run without an external disc drive as well? I can use disc sharing from another machine, but if copy protection requires the disc to be inserted in the same MacBook Air, it won't work.

Sigmund

11. EnigMoiD macrumors member

If you got one of the new MacBook Airs with the NVIDIA graphics, you should be fine. But if you got a used/refurbished older model, it probably won't be able to handle it.

12. Sigmund macrumors newbie

My concern isn't the graphics, but the fact that MacBook Air lacks a disc drive. Can Spore run with shared DVD in another machine? Or even better, with no disc inserted at all?

Sigmund