Spore OS X vs. Win

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by akm3, Oct 21, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I want to purchase Spore, and I would primarily play it on my new Macbook Pro (9600gt)

I want to support OS X game development in general, and for the convenience factor am leaning towards the OS X version.

However, I want to discourage cider ports where the OS X version gets performance short-shrift compared to the Windows version. Also, I want the best performance possible, and crippling myself by not having a 'real' OS X application is frustrating.

What choice did other folks make?

2. MichalM.Mac macrumors regular

MichalM.Mac

Spore

I think, they sell Hybrid edition of this. PC/MAC.

Performance: Windows always wins in game performance against Cider games.

3. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

In Australia, it is a Mac/PC DVD. And EA promised at some circle jerk not too long ago, that they were going to develop games for Mac, so Spore should be pretty good on Mac.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

From what I hear Spore runs on a virtual Win XP environment. Someone here on MR had Spore crash in such a way that it revealed the XP desktop. So it is not a true port. EA is just lazy.

Do to this and other issues I will not purchase EA titles.

5. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I tend to avoid EA games like the plague, their console offerings, PlayStation 3 games in particular are just Xbox 360 ports with inferior graphics, and they usually play like oiled dogs nuts.

However, Battlefield: Bad Company was quite a good offering. :)

6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Uh, no. I highly doubt Spore ships with Windows XP and a quick search of the forum tells me I highly doubt someone else posted that they saw the Windows XP desktop on their Mac copy of Spore.

It is a Cider port. Look it up.

7. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

Yep spore is a cider port, just look inside the application XD

It works fine on my iMac with a 2600 pro.

Never noticed a difference in between playing on xp and os x.

Regardless, if you buy spore, it's a windows and mac version.
    so it doesn't matter.

(all the mac version is is the same files, and the cider software in a .app)

8. OneHump macrumors member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

In a word, no. This is not true. It is most likely a Cider game which is DirectX -> OpenGL translation layer.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Spore actually runs very decently under OS X - though it is smoother under Windows, it's not the huge gap that some might expect. Such is my experience, at any rate.